Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hear a lot of talk about we had such a bad winter is the reason for bad fishing this year. Sure there is no doubt that winter fish kills does a lot of damage. But is the fish kill the result of a bad Winter or a Mild Winter? I am convinced that the winters here are no where close to being as bad as they used to be. I believe that the really mild winters are causing fish that normally would leave the area,stay in the area a little too long. We have a short cold snap that last for a week or two,then there is your winter fish kill. Would like to hear what other folks think. Fish Kill because of Bad Winter or Mild Winter?::yes:

·
Registered
440 Posts
I hear a lot of talk about we had such a bad winter is the reason for bad fishing this year. Sure there is no doubt that winter fish kills does a lot of damage. But is the fish kill the result of a bad Winter or a Mild Winter? I am convinced that the winters here are no where close to being as bad as they used to be. I believe that the really mild winters are causing fish that normally would leave the area,stay in the area a little too long. We have a short cold snap that last for a week or two,then there is your winter fish kill. Would like to hear what other folks think. Fish Kill because of Bad Winter or Mild Winter?::yes:
We've had some cold winters the last few years. The liberals heads are exploding at the thought of there not being any global warming, but its the truth. Going to be a chilly one this year too. Sure it has killed a lot of fish, but the main thing we can do is continue to push for cleaner water. It isn't the commercial fisherman's fault, it isn't global warming, we need cleaner bay water. Continuing to update waste water treatment plants from Va. up through NY is the real ticket. Other than Omega there is a very small fraction of commercial fisherman that there were 15 years or so ago. Those are some good guys with some neat family heritage that are just looking to make a few dollars. A lot of them are having to do it on the side now as there are so many license fees that it takes too much money off of the bottom end to actually make any money at all. It has been that way for a long time too. I'm not a commercial fisherman, I have fished for pelagic commercially quite a bit years ago hook and line, but it's a shame how our politicians always take the easy route by pointing at the few small commercial guys that are left. Fish kills have always happened and they always will due to cold weather. Frustrating for us speckled trout and puppy drum guys, but that's the way it is.

·
Registered
724 Posts
There is and always will be a winter population of reds and specks. They are not only caught in hot ditches. They can withstand way colder water than you think. What happens is we get a warm spell and the fish go into the shallows to warm up and then a quick cold snap comes and the fish don't make it back to the deep stable temp.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts