Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anything that you guys target over the winter months other than rock? Since I probably won't get a chance to run far far south to hit some rock what else is worth going after in the upper upper bay and flats while old man winter is here? And what do the hit on?
Mike

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Mike,

How? Where? I hear that there are some good perch holes in the Pax. Do I just use bottom rigs w/worms? I need some action before Spring trophy season!

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
There is excellent LMB fishing near Carroll Island. Now only the fringes of the better fishing is accessible by boat only...:censored: You can catch smaller SMB, occasional larger catfish, carp or maybe a musky at Dickerson on the Potomac. Walleyes below Conowingo.

·
Registered
10,547 Posts
Mike,

How? Where? I hear that there are some good perch holes in the Pax. Do I just use bottom rigs w/worms? I need some action before Spring trophy season!
They school up near the Rt 4 bridge and can be located with your sonar . Try dropping Sting Silvers on them or bloodworms if you can get them .

·
Premium Member
26,227 Posts
You can jig for White Perch near the bay bridge rockpiles.Pickerel and Yellow Perch in the rivers.

If you have a small boat- Carp often are in the headwater creeks , legal to snag them and they fight hard.

Until the ponds ice over - Crappie/LM bass are often caught.The spillways on the eastern shore are fun and easy to fish.

Some streams receive a winter stocking of trout - they are fun to catch.

There is alot of good fishing in winter around here.If you see a truck pulled over on the shoulder near a creek, stop and talk to the anglers.Most will offer tips on catching.

·
Registered
552 Posts
You can jig for White Perch near the bay bridge rockpiles.Pickerel and Yellow Perch in the rivers.

If you have a small boat- Carp often are in the headwater creeks , legal to snag them and they fight hard.

Until the ponds ice over - Crappie/LM bass are often caught.The spillways on the eastern shore are fun and easy to fish.

Some streams receive a winter stocking of trout - they are fun to catch.

There is alot of good fishing in winter around here.If you see a truck pulled over on the shoulder near a creek, stop and talk to the anglers.Most will offer tips on catching.
Yes...In winter I've seen swirls in the water, obviously made by very large fish, in the shallow Chaptico Bay.
I've seen them while going out to the blind in the marsh.
I guess they must be big carp. Seems like lots of them.

Will they bite on anything in the winter?

·
Premium Member
26,227 Posts
Carp can be caught on a baited hook in winter.If you can - chum the area for 2-3 days with canned yellow corn.You can buy a big can (# 10 size) at most super markets.Throw out 3-4 handfuls each day - then fish with the same corn on a #4 hook.

Snagging them with 5/0 trebles is much easier :D - they are a tough fish and the hook rarely hurts them.You can also bow fish them but only if you know someone who wants them.No C/R with an arrow :eek:.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Perch! Perch! Perch! There is in fact a good run in the Pax; you can access it with a canoe or other car-topper launched where rt. 4 crosses over at Wayson's Corner. Paddle up-river from the bridge until you see the creek split off to the left, and fish the hole. It should start in mid Jan and run through early April, with the best action in late March/early April. You can also try the holes at the bends in Nanjemoy Creek (Perch & catfish) and in Watts Creek (Off the Choptank, perch & cats on minnow in the deep hole 200 yds to the left of the boat ramp, by the pavilian) Both of these spots are usually better during Jan and Feb then the Pax is (that spot tends to heat up later.) Hate to toot my own horn, but Rudow's Guide to the Chesapeake (Geared Up Publications fishing books) details out these spots and many, many more, for winter perch/cats/pickerel. Bull minnow on a bottom rig is the standard offering for yellow perch & cats, and grass shrimp work well for the white perch. Good luck and remember: fishing season NEVER ends!
View attachment 14442
Max with a yellow perch at Watts Creek, in January

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Uncle Phill
is there Kayak access below the damn?

Never been there but heard there are some Nice Walleyes to be had ..
There is, but be VERY careful...if they start generating power and releasing water you'll be in Harve de Grace in no time. :eek2: You should do fine fishing from shore.

If I had a kayak, I'd DEFINITELY put in at the State ramp at Dundee and paddle 2 miles over to the Carrol Island discharge. Rattletraps are OK, but 3" sluggos and the like on 1/32 oz jigheads on 6# line was the real ticket!

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
There is, but be VERY careful...if they start generating power and releasing water you'll be in Harve de Grace in no time. :eek2: You should do fine fishing from shore.

If I had a kayak, I'd DEFINITELY put in at the State ramp at Dundee and paddle 2 miles over to the Carrol Island discharge. Rattletraps are OK, but 3" sluggos and the like on 1/32 oz jigheads on 6# line was the real ticket!
Phil,
can a kayak get closer to the discharge than a powerboat? I was under the impression from the earlier post that the real fish haven was off limits from any type of fishing due to 9/11 restrictions... or are they just concerned with powerboats???

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Caught one 16" trayt today missed a few others wadin the creek. Trout on crackers are on the menu for snacks. Perch and picks are always an option during the winter if ya need to get in a boat.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Phil,
can a kayak get closer to the discharge than a powerboat? I was under the impression from the earlier post that the real fish haven was off limits from any type of fishing due to 9/11 restrictions... or are they just concerned with powerboats???
Josh- public access was eliminated due to wild parties on the bridge that lead onto the Island, and general littering. IMHO, the best fishing wasn't exactly in the vicinity of the bridge, which is closest to the discharge.

·
Premium Member
2,412 Posts
don't forget the every elusive and teasured Patapsco permit!!!

TIGHT LINES!!

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Blueyzwatin: At 130,000 cfs and 18+feet with even higher water levels coming down upstream, Conowingo is no place for a kayak right now. With those levels most fishing would be difficult at best anywhere upstream of the Port Deposit area. Yellow perch are active around Port and downstream and Walleye are there and active, but again, you have to find some still water where you can fish them. I was out in Capt. Nick’s outback (Joppa Town quarry) this afternoon and caught a mixed bag of small bass (2), yellow perch (3 or 4) and crappie (15+). There were no real big crappies, but a few keepers. Beats sitting in the house!

·
Registered
955 Posts
Under the solomons Bridge...50'-70' of water....3/4 oz. stingsilver with a shad dart dropper....Lenny R. is right, later is better, but the fish are there to catch all winter. Took my kids out last January 20, and caught over 100 fish that day, most on the shad dart. Tom

·
Registered
304 Posts
Blueyzwatin: At 130,000 cfs and 18+feet with even higher water levels coming down upstream, Conowingo is no place for a kayak right now. With those levels most fishing would be difficult at best anywhere upstream of the Port Deposit area. Yellow perch are active around Port and downstream and Walleye are there and active, but again, you have to find some still water where you can fish them. I was out in Capt. Nick's outback (Joppa Town quarry) this afternoon and caught a mixed bag of small bass (2), yellow perch (3 or 4) and crappie (15+). There were no real big crappies, but a few keepers. Beats sitting in the house!
How do you get to the quarry. I have fished there once or twice before. I fish in my yak out of mariner point in the winter and wanted to get up to the quarry. Just wondering if there is an easy way to get the yak in there. Last time we were walking through yards and woods and I don't think everyone is kind to that.:nono:

1 - 20 of 52 Posts