Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Taking a trip to Ship Bottom this WE in search of winter flounder.I fish the del. bay for summer flounder which I hear is complete opposite from winter flounder tactics, any suggestions, ie; bait,special rigs, clam chum buckets, ideal tide etc.

·
Registered
43 Posts
If you don't know already, winter flounder have a very small mouth. Most people use a double bottem hook rig using trout size hooks, tackle shops up in Jersey can show you. I've found best bait to be blood worms or clam strips. As far as chum goes I've used dog or cat food (dry) saturated in 5 gallon bucket. Look for deep areas, holes in bottom 10-12 ft of water. Lots of luck the new size reg is 12 inches which I find very large for winter flounder.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
White Sand Does It Too.

Hi:
Find white sand and put in a 5 gallon bucket.NOW add crushed MUSCLE and SKIMMER shells. U can add cat or rabbit food if u want.
Find a pier or jetty and broadcast this concoction up tide . Try to fish a o/going tide.
The WHITE SAND as it falls to the bottom will attract the flounder from far away. They can really see it. It gets them up and into your chumslick that will eventually lead them to your hookbaits.
Tie your long shanked double hook rigs about 3-6 inches ABOVE the sinker. That way u can feel the flounder suck your baits down.
Move your sinker/bait combo every 1 minute or so. U cover more ground and once you find the flounder,cast back to that same area. I like to use a chumpot too. Especially off a pier end.
I give out more info on my website on how to catch these tasty creatures.wwwancientmarinertackle.com
WACKM N STACKM
Joseph B...aka...Ancient Mariner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.