Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody tried any Western or Eastern shore creeks or tributaries for yellow and white perch , crappie or pickerel recently. I live in southern Maryland but will tow the boat wherever a bite maybe. Off all next week and looking to come tight on a few fish since the weather's been so mild. Thanks in advance for any info

·
Registered
823 Posts
Most of the MD lower Eastern Shore creeks hold decent populations of crappie, white/yellow perch, pickeral, bass, and catfish during the winter months. Choptank, Blackwater, Nanticoke and Wicomico to name just a few. The trick is finding them. Generally speaking they would normally be in the deeper waters of the main rivers by now and as we get into late January to Mid February will migrate upwards into the smaller tribs pre spawn. The good thing is once you locate them they are fairly easy to catch. I haven't been out yet so not sure with the mild weather and warm water temps where they are in their winter pattern. If your in S MD your best bet for white perch would be the Lower Patuxent from Sheridan PT to the Solomons Bridge. Generally this time of year I would look for them from 35 to 50 ft deep. Most of the deep holes in this section near the drop offs into the main channels historically hold a lot of white perch in December. Again I cant speak for this year but the above have been good spots consistently for as long as I have fished them in the winter. My favorites are the E Shore creeks. Have had many productive days for multiple species when nobody else is out on the water. Dress warm and don't go by yourself, be safe above all else. Once the water gets into the 40s its not very forgiving. I took a spill a few years ago while oystering and if I would have been alone there's no way I would have been able to get back in the boat quick enough to recover. Water temp was high 30s that day. Fortunately I had someone else with me and was dressed in multiple layers of modern cold weather gear. I slipped on an icy spot on the washboard and was in the water instantly. Be safe.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts