Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When we want some fun pullage in the winter, we venture out to a business park lake with ultra light rods, a bucket of large minnows and float them next to vegetation. Next thing you know... WAHMO!
Monster Pickerels! [excited]

Anyone else in here enjoy catching Pickerels in the winter?
Do anything different?

·
Registered
211 Posts
freeflow,
I do a lot of fishing in Swift Creek Reservior from canoe.
Neighborhood has a rack on one of the back coves.
Anyway, some days that's all you find in there, and some can be whoppers.
I have lost a lot of lures to those toothy critters, and learned the hard and expensive way to always retie after a hookup, even if the line looks and feels OK.

Lots of lures, did I say that?

LOL

nw

·
Registered
457 Posts
FREEFLOW, I use the same technique on Chickahominy Lake. The kayak will get pulled around a bit and there are some biggun's in there too.

DARREN

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's a ton of fun. Sometimes we take my small alum. boat and throw it in, slap on the trolling motor and troll some husky jerks.
Then we really catch the biggins!
We've been out some bad weather conditions catching these fun fish. Seems like the colder it is, the better the bite.
It'll be monster pickerel time again soon!

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Went Pickerel fishing Saturday and caught lots of small ones and a couple monsters. Should be lots of monsters by then end of January.
Also ended up with a nice 4lb. largemouth. [excited]

Tons of fun on the ultra light outfit.

Brian

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We find these monster pickerels in the most unpredictable places.

Ironically, our best catches have been come from large run-off ponds/drainage ditches that are connected throughout huge business parks and neighborhoods. Shhh, we're probably not suppose to fish there but boy is it good fun fishing! We've never been run off and have seen a few other people fishing so I don't think it's a problem. We jokingly call it Urban Fishing! [grin]

·
Registered
453 Posts
Pickerel are a blast! Always fished for them during the coldest days of fall/ early winter. Think my PB is around 5lbs or so - Eastern Shore MD is the ticket for these musky smelling fish :) . Had some good results for them in the spillways during the perch runs as well. I kinda miss it - may have to dunk a few minnies soon :) .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts