Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 25' Evans powered by a straight six Volvo diesel I/O kept at my home, on a lift and in a boat house.

I want to be able to use the boat year-round but haven't devised a way to prevent a freeze-up of the manifold or heat exchanger short of a regular winterization with anti-freeze.

I know that some watermen rely on a light bulb but I can't bring myself to rely on such a weak link.

I'm hoping some of you have found a solution to this problem. :helpsmilie:

·
Registered
563 Posts
If you keep the boat in the water, the engine room doesn't get as cold as you might think, because the water keeps it relatively warm. If you hook up two 100 watt light bulbs in series, they will never (well, almost never) burn out, because they are effectively operating on half the normal voltage. If you don't trust the light bulbs, you can get a block heater. If you had a gas engine, I wouldn't recommend the light bulbs, since they are a possible ignition source.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I use 2 little 6" X 6" X 8" ceramic heaters. One set about 10 degrees lower than the other. They are the little cheapies avaliable for $10 - $15 at Wal or K mart, so I get 2 in case one decides to quit. Two problems with them, the power supply needs to be sufficeint so breakers don't trip, and IF or WHEN the power goes off, your up s__t's creek. Same with any electrical heat source. With the blowers on them, they do a nice job and help keep the compartment and engine dry from condensation.
Don't put too much dependence on the water tempature when the boat is on a lift or trailer. Also, close up any big ventilation holes to hold in the heat.
budc

·
Registered
8,432 Posts
I use a magnetic block heater on my Volvo Diesel and it works fine. Keeps heat exchanger slightly warm to the touch and only draws about 200 watts. The ones that say "marine" are kind of pricey but I got one from Tractor Supply that is identical, from the same company, just painted a different color, for about half the price.
Conventional electric heaters and/or light bulbs in my engine compartment would cause me to lose sleep at night.

Tractor Supply Company - Magnetic Engine Heater, 8 sq in

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I use a magnetic block heater on my Volvo Diesel and it works fine. Keeps heat exchanger slightly warm to the touch and only draws about 200 watts. The ones that say "marine" are kind of pricey but I got one from Tractor Supply that is identical, from the same company, just painted a different color, for about half the price.
Conventional electric heaters and/or light bulbs in my engine compartment would cause me to lose sleep at night.

Tractor Supply Company - Magnetic Engine Heater, 8 sq in
Good idea! . In my case, I have a non-magnetic oil pan and I don't believe there is enough flat area on the block to attach it. Ideally, the cooling system would be antifreezed, but the boat is used all year and pulling the thermostat, flushing and circulating the mix is just too much to go through each time
You're right about loseing sleep. Fuels and fumes cannot be allowed and no flammables close in front of the heater.
budc

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to all for the suggestions. I think Capt. George's solution may be best for me. Where do you attach the heater, Captl. G.?

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
I have a Groco T connection on my raw water supply hose to the engine. I pull the plug out of that and blow it down with an air tank. First try will empty the hose going back the the sea cock, then I shut the sea cock and blow it down again and this pushes the water out of my heat exchangers through the exhaust.

·
Registered
8,432 Posts
Thanks to all for the suggestions. I think Capt. George's solution may be best for me. Where do you attach the heater, Captl. G.?
Most of the cover on my heat exchanger is non-magnetic but there are bolts on the forward end that are magnetic. The magnet sticks to that very well. Heat exchanger stays warm.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Got a call from my friend Jim tuesday, His brothers Shamrock Makinaw 26 diesel (IN CRISFIELD) caught fire, total loss.
It was on a trailer with a heater in the engine box.

Thats what i have rigged on my boat which is in the water in Annapolis.I have a cabin heater that I bought at west marine last week.
I have it sitting besides the battery on a shelf directly infront of the engine (yanmar single inboard).
Its been fine for a week, but I had to pull the plug, to worried about a fire.
Or Am i freaking for nothing.
Bill

·
Registered
8,432 Posts
That's terrible. If not enough proof that heaters in engine boxes are bad, I don't know what is.
Additionally, keep in mind that when most boats are on a trailer or a lift, most saltwater drains out anyway. If not, it's usually a pretty easy proposition to drain it manually. If your anti-freeze is correct, the freshwater side is not an issue.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Just for everyones information, the use of any heater that is not aybc approved that causes a fire.
Your insurance company probaly will not pay claim.

Capt.mack

1 - 12 of 12 Posts