Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brought my boat home for a few months since I don't expect a winter striper season. Hope I am wrong...

Its a 25+' boat and have it on a big bunk trailer. Does it make sense to jack up the trailer and try to put wood blocks under the trailer so all the weight isn't on the wheels and bearings since its going to sit for a while? Its a tandem axel trailer....

Thought I might be good to block under the ends, center and tongue. Not a lot but just enough to take weight off the wheels.

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
I have always kept my boats on trailer over winter, never jacked up trailer. current boat 24.5 and had as big as 27.
Lots of friends do same with 25'-30's.

·
Registered
407 Posts
You should have no trouble, the trailer is rated for the weight of your boat. The weight is distributed evenly on the trailer. Sounds like a good time to check and lube the wheel bearings. You will be back in the water in no time.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Depends on the age of your tires. If they are fairly new and you won't be moving the trailer, then yes, put the trailer on blocks. Position the blocks near the axles on the main beams.

This will preserve the tires and keep them from getting flat spots. Either remove them and store them inside or cover them up so the UV doesn't get them.

If they are almost at the end of their life and you plan on replacing them at the start of the season, go for it and leave them on the trailer.

I always left the tires on all my trailers over winter and never gave it any thought. However, I noticed a very substantial difference in the life of my boat trailer tires vs my personal watercraft trailer tires over the last two winters. The PWC trailer was kept inside the garage. The boat trailer outside. The PWC tires were still brand new looking when I sold them this summer. My boat trailer, well it's tires had to be replaced last month due to sidewall dry rot. $700 later and my boat trailer will be on blocks this winter with the tires covered. There is a difference and I am now a believer in this oft ignored advise.

·
Registered
884 Posts
I bought some tire covers but finally threw them away once I realized the salt-off w/Teflon that I sprayed my wheels and trailer off with protected the tires from dry rotting.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts