Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Managed to squeeze in a couple of hours on Sunday before the snow set in. I fished with my cousin down at a little pond near Annapolis. The air temp was a brisk 21 degrees and the water temp was a cool 32.8 deg on the surface. The shallower pond was completely froze over.

We were throwing 1/2 oz. white glitter with brown or purple top Rattle Traps. Not something I would normally throw but they mimick the shad that are moving around quite well. Even had a few gulls drop by looking for a snack. Lately the rattle traps have been outperforming everything 10 to 1.

I only managed one fish but it was a pig. It may very well end up being the largest of the season, but I have 11 more months to go.

5 Lbs. 13 oz. Largemouth caught January 21st 2007 :D

·
Registered
37 Posts
Impressive

Wow, excellent fish. Other than slowly, how do you fish the rattletrap this time of year? Stop and go or what? I'd have never guessed a rattletrap would be effective this time of year.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, excellent fish. Other than slowly, how do you fish the rattletrap this time of year? Stop and go or what? I'd have never guessed a rattletrap would be effective this time of year.
The biggest factor here is that I know there are shad and they are moving. This particular pond is small but I have witnessed birds diving into small schools.

Technique varys. Sometimes we work them slow allowing them to go to the bottom, lift the rod tip and jig, let it fall to the bottom again.

Sometimes a slow constant reeling, sometimes a fast constant reeling, sometimes give it a pause. Unfortunately there is no one best way.

You have to try and find what works best. The fish will tell you. Generally the colder the water the slower the retreive, but deeper water will be warmer. Also consider recent and upcoming weather patterns.

Sorry for not being much help :confused:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Wow, nice catch! I normally fish Loch Raven but it's closed this time of year. I'd love to find a pond like that and catch a nice largemouth. Ive been fishing some WWD but havent been very successful! Again, nice catch!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hey Sean,
That place you are fishing used to be my secret spot!! Those "ponds" used to be closed to the public and only accessible to county employees. The city of Annapolis has since opened this area to the public. Enjoy the fishing, when the temps heat up so will the bite! Just watch out for snakes, they are everywhere in the spring and summer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts