Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Turned some stuff over the last couple of weeks. Can't wait for the crick to thaw so I can see how they swim.

And of course the annual Pinewood Derby. There's a lot of dads who are technical types in our pack, so there's a separate class to keep us from spending too much time on our kid's cars. My son got a second in his division and my green tuning fork took first overall.

He wants my axles for next year....

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Great post Chris!!

The plugs look great. What kind of wood is that, pine? And is that an embedded weight near the rear (by the vice) in the first pic? Are you bringing some of those to the Flyfest? I would love to check them out.

We just finished up our pinewood derby a few weeks back, second year for us, my son's car took second place and he was pumped.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Steve - Yeah, that's a little bit of lead at the back of the second plug - Looking for that nose-up attitude and walk the dog action. The wood is hard maple.

I'm think the first one will look/act outrageous in the water, but it may tumble during the cast - gotta work on that one a bit.

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
That needlefish/popper thing looks like a fish killer. try shaving or cutting the lower lip a bit on one and hold on! Nice work.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all - Lou - Describe what you mean about cutting the lip - I'll try it.

Blues - Ihaven't seen the teflon lube as yet - gotta research that one!

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
I guess we are off topic, but if you are competing under the official cub scout rules for Pinewood Derby, they allow only graphite as a lube, no teflon or synthetic lubes are allowed.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yup - LA - that's the one - you have a specific name for your needle?

Steve - Yeah - I thought graphite was our only option....

·
Registered
91 Posts
1 +/- OZ NeedleFish-Bunker

PaxFish,
We try to keep it simple-body style is called: NeedleFish. Weight is approx 1.25Oz and Bunker is the paint pattern. White belly, silver sides and black back-killer-for sure.

Are you for hire????:eek:

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool
5,686 Posts
Eminent Brother,
Oh man....I used to have a lathe and turned things for sale at boutiques and craft shows. Boy did I love to make wood shavings and have them sevaral inches deep on the floor. My biggest seller was a old style Steam Roller that for some reason kids and dad's really liked. When it was no longer fun and started to become a business, I quit. But I remember many a happy hour spent with a skew chisel and gouge in my hands.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Sweet plugs! Can't wait to see the finished product. Love how you tied the bucktail on the rear of the bottom plug. Is that going to be a swimmer or a spook? Here's a few from my woodshop.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Fish - Very cool - I like the ass-backwards one at the bottom!

GB - Break out the lathe, Bud. The only thing better than getting one on your own plug is getting one a fly you tied!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts