Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellas - i bought a 2003 triumph last fall with a 2003 Evinrude Ficht on the back. The boat is awesome but if I'd known about the Ficht's troubles I probably wouldn't have bought the boat. My question is I winterized the boat with a friend who said he knew what he was doing and sprayed fog mixture into the spark plug holes instead of into the throttle plates like the manual says to do. Is this going to screw me in any way? Is there anything that I can do to rectify the situation or should I not worry about it and just run it as usual.

I'm also not getting the engine to pee real well when flushing the motor. The lower unit is not cracked so I'm not sure if the water pump is cracked and needs to be replaced. Any idea what this should cost to get done?

If there is anyone with experience with these engines who could recommend a good mechanic and occasionally offer some good advice I would greatly appreciate it. I am located in Edgewater, MD.

Thanks.

Alex

·
Registered
249 Posts
you should be fine on the fogging. most motors dont pee very good with a hose hooked to them so you should be fine there also just check it once you put it in the water. Paul

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Paul.

On the peeing problem, the water that's coming out is trickling out - no pressure at all. It was cold as could be the day I flushed her though so the water pressure may have been lower than usual.

I've got the boat winterized right now but am going to put the batteries back in and fire it up when it warms up a bit more and see if I can't get her to piss like she should before I go get a mechanic to pull the lower unit off.

·
Registered
6,854 Posts
You're probably ok. The reason for fogging through the carbs is to lub the bearings and cylinders. Your friends method doesn't help the crank bearings during the storage period. Do it right next year. The tell-tale flow is unrelated. Try blowing some compressed air back through the pee hole. Little critters or debris is probably in there somewhere.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Also when was the last time you changed your water pump impeller? I have 2 fichts on the back of my boat,1-wasnt peeing good out of the (quick- disconnect) i installed,when i removed it i found just a little clump of sand was in there,i never fog but run it during the winter.....but I think you have throttle bodys instead of carbs......:bigfish:

·
Registered
633 Posts
Don't worry about the Ficht reputation. They had problems early on like in 1999 - 2001. If it's an 03 it should be fine. Even if it's a 1999, if it lasted 8 years it probably didn't have a factory defect! Like some others have said, check the impeller. That's an every other year maintenance item anyway so I would go ahead and replace it. 50 bucks do it yourself job, maybe $150 to have it done.

Intercoastal Marine in Essex Middleriver is a good Evinrude place. Ask for Terry. Someone else might know a mechanic closer.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Alex I'm with Maestro on this one. That's a great motor and the 99s did have a problem. You should be fine with the fogging thing no biggie. You may have a fogging port on that engine. Check for a shcraeder fitting near the choke mechanism. I had a 2006 E tech and it had the fitting and so did my 2000 ocean runner.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
HAHA... You've got a Ficht! :D If it makes you fee better, you can call it a DI because that they are the same.

I've got twins on the back of my boat and no problemo with them. Ficht's got a bad name mostly from the '98-'99 150-175hp models. With the Ficht Rams in '00, designed problems were fixed. From '00-'01 (OMC days), there were some problems, but it wasn't design; it was parts. Inferior parts that didn't meet engineering spec. With BRP building them as of '02, they've been solid motors (They retooled and brought parts manufacturing inhouse). If you've got a '03 with the 3.3L block, you also have the redesigned, by BRP, Magnum Lower Unit. The original OMC lower units would at times go boom because they couldn't handle the torque from the 3.3L Fichts.

Be happy with what you've got. You should see many years of great service from that motor of yours.

- Dae

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Alex I'm with Maestro on this one. That's a great motor and the 99s did have a problem. You should be fine with the fogging thing no biggie. You may have a fogging port on that engine. Check for a shcraeder fitting near the choke mechanism. I had a 2006 E tech and it had the fitting and so did my 2000 ocean runner.
The valve on the Fichts aren't for fogging or decarbing. I can't remember what they are for, but do NOT use it to fog/decarb. I'm pretty sure it's the same with the Etecs being that Etecs have a self winterizing mode.

- Dae

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Ok, I got the info on the Schrader valve on the Fichts and Etecs. The valve is there to check fuel pressure only. It is not to be used to fog or decarb the motors.

- Dae

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Yes i do know that the E-tec is self winterizing, That sure is a sweet mode. Was not sure about the schreader fitting on the newer models, My 2000 Carbed 250 was fogged from that port but I guess with Injection it surely would do no good or even if it would go in at those pressures.....

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
PLUGS

Be careful with this one,
if you fire your Boat in the yard like most with the ears you should have good water coming out of the Pee hole , Verify you had the pressure of the hose up all the way.
Sometimes Well water Pressure is not the Greatest if you live off a Well..

Your Impeller could be suspect if you have a good stream at high speed but trickles when your Idle or low speed it could be a warning sign you need to change it.

Watch your plugs the first time out. You may not Foul them in the Yard but out on Water the Motor might begin to Spit and Spudder and run rough... You may have Fouled the plugs because the Fogger was put directly into the Head....

Plugs are not cheap but having a Spare set in this case might not be a bad idea...

Good luck

Jay

1 - 13 of 13 Posts