Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine bought a 2 year old boat with a 150 Yamaha four stroke and wants to winterize the engine.
After treating fuel...Do you use fogging oil like two strokes? Some on line searches showed some fogging the engine for 5-10 minutes and others said to just fog inside the cylingers by removing plugs and hand turning the flywheel a few times to move the pistons. Other things to do...oil/filter change, lower unit, plugs, charge batteries, cover, etc..
Thanks for your thoughts and information.....
- Sean

·
Registered
323 Posts
I actually called Yami and asked what their recommendations were for extended storage. They said to spray fogging oil into the cylinder, replace the plugs and then either turn over by hand or pull the kill switch and crank for a few seconds with the starter. Make sure you have a hose or antifreeze supplying fluid to the lower unit when you turn it over. The other items you list are correct. Don't forget to grease the prop shaft and all grease points on the motor and trailer.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Forgot to mention that the tube on the fogging oil I bought was too short to reach into the cylinder on the F150. I just took a drinking straw and held it in place to make sure it didn't leak. This was sufficient to get the fogging oil into the cylinder.

·
Registered
12,450 Posts
Sean....I have the F225 4 stroke and I don't winterize it...If I am not gonna use it for a few weeks...3 weeks max I just hookup the trailer and run down to the closest ramp....leave boat sitting on trailer...back down in the water and run it for a few minutes....only month I didn't use it last year was Feb....
I do ad fuel stabilizer....keep the motor in down position to drain all water....
No problems for me...If I wasn't gonna use it for a few months than I would winterize it....

·
Registered
327 Posts
the mechaninc that winterizes my yamaha 225 uses a mix of oil and gas in a portable 2 gallon gan he hooks up to the engine and runs it for a few minutes on that mix
Uncle Bob

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
When pulling off the prop to grease the shaft, as mentioned, also check for fishing line wrapped around it. If there, you may want to have the seals checked, especially if the lower unit oil appears milky colored when changing. :eek:

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks much guys - this has been helpful....Sean

·
Registered
294 Posts
Sean....I have the F225 4 stroke and I don't winterize it...If I am not gonna use it for a few weeks...3 weeks max I just hookup the trailer and run down to the closest ramp....leave boat sitting on trailer...back down in the water and run it for a few minutes....only month I didn't use it last year was Feb....
I do ad fuel stabilizer....keep the motor in down position to drain all water....
No problems for me...If I wasn't gonna use it for a few months than I would winterize it....
Never really winterize mine either, run some fresh water thru it..throw some stabil in the tank and that's it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts