Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support TidalFish.com!
7,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I winterized my new Etec 40 motor tonight. Unbelievably simple.

Here's the 2 minute process.

Raise fast idle lever - start engine

* run 15 seconds

Lower fast idle lever

* run 15 seconds

Raise fast idle lever

* outboard fogs itself (can smell the oil fogging) and shuts itself off in one minute

ps - You don't drain the lower unit for three years

·
Registered
323 Posts
I winterized my new Etec 40 motor tonight. Unbelievably simple.

Here's the 2 minute process.

Raise fast idle lever - start engine

* run 15 seconds

Lower fast idle lever

* run 15 seconds

Raise fast idle lever

* outboard fogs itself (can smell the oil fogging) and shuts itself off in one minute

ps - You don't drain the lower unit for three years
Looks like 1.5 minutes total (not 2)

I really like the idea (NOT) of changing L/U oil every 3 years. Get something under the seal and see if the L/U lasts for 3 years!

·
Registered
678 Posts
AS soon as my finances allow it I will be replacing my 4 stroke with the E-tec..... The 4 stroke maintenance is no fun and not cheap.

·
Registered
111 Posts
The maintenance interval on etec calls for 3 years or every 300hrs, I have also read that the 300hr service is expensive as well.

·
7,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The maintenance interval on etec calls for 3 years or every 300hrs, I have also read that the 300hr service is expensive as well.
That may be true but long term, it should be cheaper to own. There are good arguments to be made on either side - 4 stroke vs. Etec - and I've studied the issue for a long time. I would be very happy with any of today's 4s and had extremely reliable service from my 1980 Evinrude 2s. Here's something I copied from another forum by someone who is unquestionably anal retentive like my EE friends and associates. Keep in mind that a crabbing trip is typically 4 hrs. (3-5 for me) so 300 is a heckuva lot (75) of trips considering the crabbing season. Read the last few sentences below. I'm not going to get into an argument because I know you can argue hard and well for a 4s vs. Etec. All good motors.

Re: E tec 50 or JohnsonSuzi 50

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We are talking about maintenance costs per the manufacturer's recommendation since the motors would be in warranty. Using factory items, a Johnson 4 stroke filter is about $13 plus about $3.95 for a quart of Bombardier 4-stroke oil or $5.95 for semi synthetic (200hr.) factory oil. Plus a nationwide average of $65 per hour labor, most dealers charge 1 hour for an oil change. You have to remove the motor pan to access the filter. So an oil change would be at least 65+13+16 or $94 per year. Winterizing by a dealer would be around 1 hour plus fogging oil, grease, and l/u lube, around $15 plus $65 or $80. Valve adjust for the 10 hr would be around $65 if none needed new shims. At the second year, the valve adjust would be probably the 2 hour flat rate, 65X2 or $130. The engine also needs annual service, tune up, and that may be around $125 with parts and labor. So for 3 years, a 4-stroke may cost in maintenance , 4 oil changes, including the 10 hr. ($376), 1 valve check plus 1 valve adjust ($195), 2 winterizings ($160), and at least 2 annual services ($250). Total for 3 years is about $981 in parts and labor, plus that means around 3 or 4 trips to the dealer, waiting for service, then 3 or 4 more trips to the dealer to pick the boat up.According to the factory an E-TEC would not need dealer service, spark plugs, or l/u oil (fresh water) for 300 hours or 3 years, and winterizing can be done automatically by the customer. Using factory XD-50 (FICHT Ram oil) bulk oil from a dealer for about $14/ gallon in which usage would be about 2 gallons a year ICOMIA averages (50 hours annually) times 3 years would equal $84. Even if you bought it retail in gallon jugs at $22, it would only total $132 for 3 years. Fuel consumption would be very close for either engine, so that is not factored in.No matter how you look at it, the E-TEC is a lot less expensive to maintain.Bottom Line:$981 maintenance cost for 3 years on the 4-stroke, or $327 per year.$84 to $132 maintenance for 3 years on the E-TEC, or $28-44 per year.

·
7,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you mind giving a plug to your service place, i.e. name? I bought my motor through Intercoastal Marine in Essex area. I was extremely pleased with all of the other work he (Terry Martin) did for me.

·
Registered
670 Posts
2 cycle is the deal

No problems from phaze seperation. as the oil lubes everything

Power head is Maint free, other than Plugs.

Just take care of your lower junk and your lower junk will take care of you

The more you run em the better they run.

Side note on 2 cycles: I just found an old, 1974 suzuki GT550 Motor cycle ( 2 stroke). 9000 original miles. This bike has not been started in over 30 years.. Did some minor clean up work, added gas and oil, started on the first kick............runs great !!!!! anyone know of any old 2 stroke motor cycles kicking around let me know... I love them

·
Registered
6,854 Posts
I wouldn't care what the manual says - waiting 3 years to find a LU seal leak is costly and results in downtime when you least want it.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I wouldn't care what the manual says - waiting 3 years to find a LU seal leak is costly and results in downtime when you least want it.
1.5 years and 210 hours on my motor / no service and no problems. 3 years or 300 hours before the first service.....

Pete

1 - 11 of 11 Posts