Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got everything confirmed - the Wish a Fish event will be Saturday July 16th this year from Sandy Point state park.

WAF foundation treats special needs children and their families to a fun filled day of boating / fishing. We need about 32 boats 22 feet and longer. Great time - many boat owners come back each year. We ask boats be docked by 8:00 am.

If you would like to volunteer your boat / time - let me know. We try to get families on the boats about 9-10 and come back around 1-2. Full catered lunch is provided for everyone by Windows catering of Va. :clapping2: Trust me - you will not leave hungry.

Marty's in Edgewater provides some of the best bloodworms for bait - I swear Jim gives these things pep talk the night before.

It is mostly bottom fishing - we scout out the day before so success is all but guaranteed. The kids love to reel in fish - regardless of size.

We try to wrap up about 3-4 in afternoon.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I am interested Skip. The Proud Mary and crew will be there. I checked the WAF web page and it will not accept signup at this time.

·
Registered
829 Posts
The Frayed Knot will be there as usual. Best trip of the year!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Count in the LISA from Talbot St Pier. I'll bring her around.

Did this two years ago and there's no cost that could keep us from doing it again.

Count me and Capt Stu Windosr in.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Count in the LISA from Talbot St Pier. I'll bring her around.

Did this two years ago and there's no cost that could keep us from doing it again.

Count me and Capt Stu Windosr in.
Heck of a trip for a heck of an event. Hats off to the crew of the Lisa for making the trip from Ocean City for this event. That's finest kind.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I hope this doesn't sound stupid, but is this open to Rec's or Certified Captains only? I bought my current boat with this sort of thing in mind and now that I'm thinking about it all the legal stuff pops into my head.

·
Premium Member
26,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
jethro - The Wish a Fish event is open to all. I'd say 75% are private boats - other 25% charters ( they give up a paying day to donate their boat :clapping2: ).

WAF does require all private boats to have a Coast Guard auxillary inspection ( free ).

WAF provides life vests for the entire family.

Very cool of you to buy a boat with sharing it with others in mind :thumbup:.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Excellent Thanks! I make it a point to take a few trips with my son's sports buddies (and their Mom and/or Dad) perch fishing every summer and since the old boat was becoming problematic I decided on buying safer (closed stern, higher freeboard) and ended up with a 255 Amberjack. I'd be more than happy to volunteer for the day.

·
Premium Member
26,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
rockondgh - Yes , WAF requires a boat 22 feet and longer for few reasons.

# 1 is insurance.

# 2 is for the family's comfort. We hold the event on a Saturday so this means boat wakes. Now I'll fish out of a 12 foot rowboat - but picture a family that likely ( sadly so ) has never been on a boat in the bay. We've had families going out on a 40 foot charter ask " Is that small boat safe ? ".

Figure it will be the boat owner and mate plus special needs child and 1-3 family members - you can see need for 22 foot or larger vessel.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts