Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know there has been a lot of posts here on Subject of Omega and I am sorry to add more.
But I felt this was important. I could not understand what I perceive as conflicting info on current stock of menhaden --
Omegas claim that the ASMFC ( The current experts and the people that control the fishery) say menhaden are not overfished!

( Being Over fished is correct

Why are there some people out there who still believe that menhaden are not being overfished?

It's important in how you word it . . . to say they are being overfished is correct; to say they are overfished is incorrect. These are the most recent scientific findings, but these findings are determined relative to standards that fishery managers adopted years ago. With the tighter standards that scientists are now recommending, the population would most assuredly be classified as overfished and being overfished. After all, there's no dispute that the population is at its lowest point on record.

Off of CFB website.
http://cbf.typepad.com/chesapeake_b...-your-turn-to-save-the-menhaden-part-two.html

Also "a panel of independent fishery scientists unaffiliated with the commission to review the assessment and make recommendations. This independent panel said that we're down to 8 percent of what the menhaden population once was and that that's too low."

Edit: Hate to say it but I really don't understand difference in the wording.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I take it as "being over fished " is it is happening right now.
And " over fished" is it has already happened.

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry I posted this, doing more searches on this I now find wording more confusing!

Going extinct , not yet extinct? :)

Seem's like a Big Bang Theory skit . I need to go fishing..

I do understand "the population is at its lowest point on record"

·
Premium Member
2,692 Posts
ASMFC - are they counting menhaden in the whole area they govern, or just VA? If they are looking at the population as a whole, they probably are not being overfished as many of the southern states do not allow menhaden fishing allowing the population to be maintained. If one just looks at the VA population, it is being decimated by Omega.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Okay guys, here is my understanding of things.

First and foremost, ASMFC management and stock assessment of menhaden is on a coastwide level from ME to FL. It does not address the localized depletion in VA but looks at the overall east coast. The most recent assessment concludes that menhaden are neither "overfished" nor "overfishing" is occurring at the coastwide level. HOWEVER, this is very misleading from a localized standpoint here in VA as well as an ecological standpoint of managing this keystone species for necessary forage and filtering value.

The huge flaw in classical stock assessments is that they assume the species is in a closed system... a vacuum where that species has no impact on other species. The assumption is made that the only value for the species is that which it is worth dead at the dock. Therefore, the principle of maximum sustainable yield (MSY) is applied where the species is managed for maximum harvest instead of maximum overall value that includes the importance of menhaden as forage to sustain higher trophic species.

In terms of fisheries management "overfishing" and "overfished" mean two different things. So in the classical single species approach where MSY is determined to be the threshold, this what the terms mean. Overfishing means that the species is being harvested at an unsustainable rate. Overfished means that overall stock is at a level below MSY.

Assuming that the data is right, basically this means that menhaden will not completely disappear and Omega will not put themselves out of business by fishing at the current level. So biological sustainability is NOT the solution for managing most fisheries and in particular a keystone species like menhaden. This is very important for people to understand. Biological sustainability is the bare minimum when it comes to fisheries management and not the goal since all fish are interrelated and maximum human benefit is not always maximum sustainable yield. It would be wise for those looking to represent sport fishing interests to understand this concept.

Instead of biological sustainability of menhaden (i.e. managing for MSY), we want modern ecosystem based policy and management that set the threshold for menhaden based on its important ecological role. By adjusting the threshold for greater ecological services (abundance), the results will show that menhaden are infact "overfished" and "overfishing" is occurring.

Review the "Big Day for a Little Fish" thread for how attempts are being made to introduce ecosystem based management. http://www.tidalfish.com/forums/showthread.php/469697-Big-day-for-a-little-fish

1 - 6 of 6 Posts