Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Left this morning at 5:30 with one Ho (Mind68) and met up with Phil and John at the Deale park and ride.Easy trailer down to PLO ramp as we swapped fish tales and ideas.Launched at 7:20 and headed SE on an almost flat bay.:) At the mouth of the river we saw lots of birds and some gannets but zero on the magic fish meter.Zig zagging south past Smith Point and still zero on the meter.I mean zero.Worried by reports of fish up the river but we continued south toward #62.Started to see a few bait blips but at 30 knots we were covering alot of water.Slowed down and the bait was getting better.Set out the boards with good help (fast learners) and the VHF reported fish being caught only 3 miles away at the RP marker.Set a course to go there but a fat 34'' changed my mind.They got that one in and 5 minutes later we had another.Got that one in and shortly had #3-at 36''.We were in 100' of water.Got up on the west edge and lost the bait so I turned back out deep.Soon as we crossed into 80' we had another fat 34''.The rock were hitting the boards and boat rods steady now and it was flat.Got one on the 300' back 13/0 Cripple Alewive that really took some work to get in-it was hooked sideways on the spoon.Found a huge school of bait and the rods were dancing.Another hook up but it was a 9'' menhadden:p Who cares-Jan.7th warm weather and fish biting with no one else around.The crew had the spread down now and we really started to catch.Bay temp was 49*. Jason (mind68) got a 39 7/8'' for the big fish of the day.Don't let him tell you it was 40''.:pBy 1:00 we had maybe 15 to the boat and 4-5 misses.Called to the few other boats and soon 6 boats were working the area.We passed by 2 boats each hooked up while we had a double header.Never had more then a 15 minute breather and soon my HO's weren't jumping to get the rod when a fish hit.:D I even got a chance to pull in a few.Most fish hit on chart. but white caught also.Had 13 rods out and only one did not catch.No idea way-it was a daisy chain on the downrigger-although it was the only non Penn reel onboard.:eek: Worked north of #62 and the planer rods really started to catch.I soon ran out of clips as all 35 were out on the line.Not sure of the final count but 20 is about right.A mile north of #62 we lost the bait and slowly reeled in the rods.The breeze was just beginning to put a chop on the water and we ran back at 30 knots.Smith Point rip was choppy but soon we were inside the jetty.Funny -my truck was the only one there at 4pm.Got the boat on the trailer just as the drizzle began.Real rain started about 1 hour later but easy drive home.Great first trip of 2007. Skip

·
Registered
6,708 Posts
Skip- thats one helava report buddy. Thats whatcha get for fish'n on a Sunday. Water temps seems to be go'n the wrong way. It was 48.5 on 12/30/06.
I went to visit Etouffe' on the eastern shore this morning and when i crossed the BB, see'n the conditions, I wondered who'd be out there:) ------------------------

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool
6,372 Posts
59 water temps wow.JP and I fished up the Patap and 47 was the best the harbor held.The big fish are all scattered w/the temps we have now.Those fish should be there till the spawn run upriver unless temps drop alot.Thanks.

·
Premium Member
26,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry-I'm tired.Water temp was 49 touching 50 *.I fixed it in the post.If it was 59 -I'd be diving.:D Skip

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Nice report Skip. I heard you all did real good. I was looking at 50.4 today out of Solomons.

Hey Dave-is it time to try "Ground Zero?"

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I Support TidalFish.
6,189 Posts
Jan 7th, nothing but a sweater too I'll bet ;) . Yep, prob some tired ho's today cause you guys were busy.:)

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool
6,372 Posts
Francis Good Memory.:D I Guarantee they are there somewhere close to the origional spots.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Thanks again for the great trip today skip. Even though that was a mediocre day by your standards today was my most productive day on the bay. Tight Lines-Jon

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Thanks for the great report, Skip. Super way to start the new year. Long day - but I'll bet nobody noticed ;) .

·
Premium Member
12,554 Posts
Man Skip that a great day in my book, I think the fish are heading to the flats already

·
Registered
955 Posts
Skip, That was us on your port just east of Reedville (25' Seahawk). Got to my buddys house this morning and he said "let's go out of Reedville instead of Smith Point, I've heard some good reports at 59A"...so off we went, and started just south of you. We picked up a few in all that bait, but not real hot. When we heard the bite down at RP and 59A, we quick-reeled everything and headed down. Had non-stop action, and I mean non-stop, for 90 minutes. Couldn't put a rod out without it getting hit. Everyone agreed to pack it in and leave the fish biting, and not put any more holes in fish lips!!!! Had excellent luck w/releases. Only one fish actually had to come in the boat for some minor work to de-hook. Glad you got into 'em. Was going to try and call in the a.m. and let you know the new info I had, but did not have your cell number with me. Tom

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
Skip, What are you doing to me? You're taking my main LT fishing buddy, Phil, and turning him into a troller. I think if he takes to this type of fishing the earth may tilt on it's axis and all sorts of devastation will occur.This just ain't natural. Anyway sounds like you guys had a blast. Thanks for the report. Now we need to get you out for an all out LT ocean bite, you'll never be the same.:D

·
Premium Member
26,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hillbilly-your buddy has joined the "dark" side.We even showed him the secret planer board user's handshake.:D Skip

·
Premium Member
26,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I wish I had a photo of him with a Penn 30lb gold pulling on a nice rock on an umbrella rig-smiling all the way.;) I would have jigged but we would see 2-4 fish on the meter here/there but not enough to drop on.Might have been able to jig but the troll bite was easy. Skip

·
Registered
230 Posts
Skip- I'll post the pics of Phil with the broom stick in his hand. Got a good pic from the helm of crew fighting a double. Good talking to "stripertom" and "tie one on " on the vhf.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts