Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally feels like fall - nice crisp air in the morning, my diesel runs so much better now on the highway :thumbup:. Left Sandy Point ramp at 7;15am with fellow TFer Wingnut_9798 (Sean) who drove down from New Jersey.He has a boat in Solomons so fishing today was a slight detour.The winds were from the north about 15 but it really was not bad south of the bridge catching Spot.Water temp. was 70.3 degrees.The current was still incoming and this made the boat sway alot.It was funny-every time the stern was facing south-we were on the Spot but if the stern swung east-we were off the school.The sea gull landed nearby and begged for a handout.We fed him about 7 Spot-what a pig.He finally flew off but was flying low and heavy :pp. I went to take a photo but the memory card was at home.We put about 60 of the Spot in a garbage can/livewell and anchored it in a safe location.These are for Saturday morning.We then caught about 30 more and then pulled anchor to go catch Rock around 10:00.Podickery was out of the question-the current would be too strong and the bay was whitecapping up there.Settled on going near the western rockpile - the bridge helped break the waves.Put Spot over on baitrunners and before I could get to the donuts - ZZZZZZZZZ - a reel was singing :yes:.Set the hook on a fat 20 incher.Great start and soon Sean got one about the same size.We changed out Spot after about 10 minutes -fresh ones make a huge differance ;-).Got hit by a Blue and then I had a good solid THUD on a larger Spot.Set the hook and felt the weight of a fish but then the hook pulled :eek:.We tried for about 1/2 more -then moved just north of the bridge.The wind had dropped and it was only a 1 foot chop.Took about 1/2 hour but Sean got a nice hit and set the hook.The Rock fought and then spit the hook.The hook was buried in the Spot - never hooked the Rock.I got a hit and gave Sean the rod - he reeled in a nice 26''.It was about 1:30 and the out going current was slowing down.Went back near the western rockpile and after about 15 minutes-Sean got a hit and this time the hook stuck :thumbup:.The fat 22 incher was no monster but it finished our limit which was good because we were low on Spot and the wind was picking up again.Only saw about 4 other boats fishing.The new fire/rescue boat was out - looked like a training day-they were spraying the bay bridge pilings :confused: and running up/down the channel.Fast boat - looked to do about 45 or so.The Spot still have white/silver bellies and we even caught 3 small Croakers off Dollys in 18 feet.Not real fast fishing but we stuck it out and got dinner.I traded Sean one of my Rock for the leftover donuts :D.

·
Registered
Koah Roller Speargun, 100 Euro
2,937 Posts
Nice report...good luck with Saturday; looks a little breezy (SRRKC Tourney?). Glad to see you weren't off the water too long. The spot hanging around this long is great. Hoping to try on Monday. ...Don

·
Premium Member
26,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Don - yes, it the SRRKC so we will be in the river-protected fairly well from a north wind.

Good luck if you go Monday - be sure to feed the "rat" with wings :D.One brazen gull - he sure has us trained well :pp.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I figured it was you we saw headed west on Route 50 as we headed home from the boat show. The club was well represented as we saw Stonewall and the Misses and Andy of the new GW 330. Thanks for the report and good luck in tomorrow's wind.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yellow fire boat or Red? Yellow is Annapolis Fire Dept's new boat. (About a year or so old...) They have been doing a bunch of training lately. Getting new operators trained, etc.

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
The Spot still have white/silver bellies and we even caught 3 small Croakers off Dollys in 18 feet.
That's an encouraging sign, especially since we wont be able to out this weekend due to the 20 kt winds and small craft warning thru Sunday. Nice report Skip! :thumbup: How longer do you think we will be able to milk the spot?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts