Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I get lucky and spot birds or just breaking fish, what is the proper way to go after these fish? Do I let the tide or wind carry me into them, do I try to stay just outside the area of activity and cast into them, etc? What's proper etiquette for not crowding other boats?

·
Registered
9,016 Posts
See which way the School is headed,set-up ahead of there path and CUT the Engine.Engine noise WILL spook them.After they pass,keep Fishin',some Bigger Fish will be below the School pickin' up the scraps and wounded Baitfish.They did'nt get Big by being stupid!:D

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
First off determine which way they are headed. Motor up and around them so they eventually come to you. Turn the motor off and watch the meter. The better fish are usually going to be behind the birds on the bottom. Get yourself some metal jigs and hold on.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Yes, you want the wind or tide, whatever is dominant, to push you towards the breakers.....hopefully to the outside. When otheres are fishing the same school, still use the same idea...just use common sense............Disclaimer, dont expect others to use common sense:eek2:

·
Registered
327 Posts
breaking fish

It does not take much to spook the fish and force them down and away. A quiet approach is important. I try to cut the engine and drift into position at a slow speed. A dropped hatch lid, a few loud steps or a fast approach will all drive the fish down. If you do it right you can be on them for 15 or 20 minutes. If you do it wrong or somebodyelse does it wrong it is all over in 60 seconds
Good luck
Uncle Bob

·
Registered
151 Posts
all advice given is correct. It is a shame that it represents an overwelming minority of folks who we come across on the fishing grounds.

I would add if you are on a school and a bozo comes in and spooks it, he will soon leave, you shuold stay put and be patient. the school will come up again perhaps very close to your current position but often times down tide of you.

Have fun \.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts