Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Okuma Classic PRO CL 452L reel that I bought last year at the tackle show in Solomons.
I actually bought two of them.

One works fine. The other has a problem with the levelwind. Sometimes when it gets all the way to the right it stays there causing the line to hump up in one place on the spool.

I looked at the little line guide pawl that goes into the spiral shaft. I don't know if that would be the problem but it does look a little worn.
Where can I buy one of those little things?
And is this reel worth fixing?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Joe, look up Mr. Joe Cox -The Reel Thing. He is located near Prince Frederick, sure if you call him, he will let ya know if it's worth it or not.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd like to just buy that little part and see if that fixes it. I can't find anyplace on line selling the parts.

·
Premium Member
26,231 Posts
The level wind is often overlooked when lubing a reel or when washing them off.It only takes a small amount of crud or salt to jam them up - often on the end.The worm gear needs to be lubed so it runs smooth.

You should be able to remove the pawl ( thin metal ) and see if it is out of alignment or dirty.Often a quick cleaning will fix it.

If not - any local tackle shop will be able to have it repaired/cleaned/lubed.Figure $15-25.00 total. Now is a good time to drop off reels for repair/cleaning.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Call or email okuma and they may send the part for free.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
The last problem I had with an Okuma, I sent an email describing the problem and part numbers needed....They sent the parts under warranty.
The reel was 2-3 years old but they warrantied parts anyway.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
I wouldn't want to risk catching a fish of a lifetime on it but if it were for light use, sure. How many times is it worth putting $20 into a $50 reel? Buy old Penn's on Ebay. Open them up, replace drags and repair as needed. Better use of your money, IMHO.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I wouldn't want to risk catching a fish of a lifetime on it but if it were for light use, sure. How many times is it worth putting $20 into a $50 reel? Buy old Penn's on Ebay. Open them up, replace drags and repair as needed. Better use of your money, IMHO.
I was thinking the same thing and it isn't even a $50 reel.
I ordered the pawls...two of them, from Mikes.
If that doesn't fix it I'll just toss it in the junk box in the shop.

Thanks everyone for the help

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Checking the pawl is the first step...make sure it's not chipped or worn...replace if necessary.

Second step is to check the worm gear...make sure the points of the gear are not chipped or worn...they should come to a sharp V shaped point...

If they are worn or chipped, the gear won't catch the pawl and move the line guide as it should...this is a common cause of the symptoms you describe too...

I hope this helps...feel free to give me a call if you have any questions...443-848-1074

·
Registered
757 Posts
I agree with reeltor. Why risk losing a large fish, using a 2nd rate reel. I can speak from experience, as I have (had) two Okuma's - that I bought new, used them one season, and had one fail, then the next spring the other failed - same as your's the level wind would stick on one side. The drag was also very weak. And yes, I kept the reels lubricated from the start - so it wasn't lack of lubrication.

So I replaced the with Penn models - new (and a couple used from ebay). They all work great, smooth, and have caught moderately large fish (25 lbs was the largest this fall). Just my opinion, but I had two, and both failed.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Checking the pawl is the first step...make sure it's not chipped or worn...replace if necessary.

Second step is to check the worm gear...make sure the points of the gear are not chipped or worn...they should come to a sharp V shaped point...

If they are worn or chipped, the gear won't catch the pawl and move the line guide as it should...this is a common cause of the symptoms you describe too...
THANKS! I have a couple GTIs with the same symptoms that I haven't gotten to yet. I didn't think to look at the worm gear--

While we are sort of on the subject--is there a trick to reassembling level winds? Maybe it is just me but I have a heck of a time getting the guard over the worm gear back on while keeping everything else in line

Thanks
Hans

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Hans - assuming that the pawl is not in place (which will be difficult to replace the shield if the pawl is in place)...when reassembling the reel, make sure that the worm gear bearings (part #'s 43 and 44 on the GT series - usually they are plastic bushings) and the worm shield (part # 50 for the GT series) are aligned and seated properly.

The bearings have a raised portion that go about a 1/4 way around the bearing and the shield has a notch in it that slides over that raised portion...this is what holds the shield in place and keeps it from spinning/rotating...if they aren't aligned and the shield isn't seated properly, it will cause problems.

Also make sure that the spool shaft is aligned with the pinion gear...the shaft near the spool is notched and has to be aligned with the slot in the pinion gear to seat properly...this sometimes makes it difficult to put the reel back together too.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Ralph:
Thanks--I will give it a look--

I think that the ones that I have been having a problem with lately are the older level winds-(which I think go back together a little differently than the GTIs)--I just rebuilt a 109 so its on my mind--the worm shield on them is tough to get to stay on and lined up as you line up the worm gear and the spool all at once--I usually get it to all fall into place after many tries--but I am never quite sure how I just did it--:eek:

Is there a trick to them?
Hans

·
Banned
859 Posts
I'd like to just buy that little part and see if that fixes it. I can't find anyplace on line selling the parts.
I myself was a fool and bought a few okumas based on looks. they are more or less junk. the good thing is that if you call there parts phone number, they will ship you the replacement part for free w/ free shipping. it will be there in 3 days. if the part keeps breaking, they will keep resending. dont offer to pay for part, go on w/ your story line, say reel is a year old, you were disappointed in reel based on Okumas reputation (try to say with a straight face) and you were wondering what they can do to help you, etc.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts