Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys think about Virginia supporting our own Cobia Hatchery?

Sounds far fetched? Stay tuned.

But would you support it? You sure pay a lot in recreational license fee monies that are not used nearly as constructively as the benefits a cobia hatchery would provide.

Stay tuned.

Bob Allen, Hampton VA

·
Registered
884 Posts
Absolutely, would really like to see those license fees go to things like a cobia hatchery. Striper and grey trout would be nice as well. They don't seem to be building anymore boat ramps with the dough. This would be a productive use of the funds in support of recreational fishing as directed.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Keep your pants on.....I spoke to "my man" about speckled trout...."no way:"....I think he feels like any fish that spend much of their lives inside the Bay will be unsuccessful. that includes striped bass. He is convinced a fish which spends much of its time in the ocean has a chance. Specs live their entire lives in the contaminated Bays and rivers all lyear round--Cobia are only here 3 summer months....Cobia born here, return here...year after year....... So let's not jump the gun. concentrate on Cobia ....there will be hurdles to clear...much support will be necessary....who knows what good things could happen if we could get a viable "stock enhancement program" here in Va (Cobia). LEt's begin by not using the "hatchery" term. The scientists and politicians like the phrase:, "stock enhancement"., But I like your enthusiasm. When I talked to "my man" this morning, he expressed optimism if we recreationals can go about it the right way...with the right people (politicans) supporting us. He said there are many successful stock enhancement programs in the Gulf. But CCA got the politicians on board in Louisiana and Texas--.... Lots more to talk about next week.

Bob Allen, Hampton VA

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Bob- I would gladly pay a little more to help support or fisheries.
10-12 yrs ago ( more/less?) a guy I met thru a SW reef club had cobia brought in to an aquarium for his Restaurant. He would sell these to be eaten.
Like the lobster tank thing. He said they were easy to raise and they grow very fast! I believe it would be a good thing for VIMS.

BTW, I still think numbers from feds are not adding up. there is a good population - I have seen them- but will not be if limits are not set lower.
We would need healthy stock of forage fish in bay for numbers to be increased.

I have said it before but have to say it again, Thank you sir, for all your efforts!

·
Registered
208 Posts
I visited the Hatchery several years ago. It was an awsome sight seeing so many fingerlings in a tank-
Downtown Hampton.
I would love to see the project kicked into high gear !!!!
Jerry Aycock

·
Registered
236 Posts
Cobia and?

Your idea is sound, but hardly new. There are those of us out here who have wasted thousands of hours in useless letters to any and every government agency from the feds to state to local trying to convince them to make better use of our fisheries resources this way. Result? Nothing. I have suggested license fees for recreational and commercial users; sending some of the now defunct "stimulus money" to states that are willing to match funds and create hatcheries. Nothing. Ive asked national magazines, conservation organizations, et al, to no avail.

Why? To either replace the fish caught by ANY means with a 2:1 ration of fingerlings, OR, to make commercial fishing sustainable and yes, allow those people who depend on the commercial catch to raise their family, but with a growth potential for the future which will NEVER HAPPEN as long as we persist in catching wild fish for national consumption. By aqua culture, capacities and increase and the wild fish will be solely for a controlled catch by recreational fisherman.

I have suggested that a recreational license fee paid by those fisherman could be levied to assist COMMERCIAL fisherman in the short term. Really? Yes, why not? Id be happy to chip in if I knew that in 3-5 years, the netters, trawlers would be gone - including the menhaden fleet. All of these ideas are contained in your suggestion.The simple laws of supply and demand, ignored since forever, have put us in this "boat" and there is no end in sight. I hope you do better this time around

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This can happen if those involved want it to happen. There are license fees in place...although now mis used, the facility is availaible, the scientists are in Hampton and ready, the secty of nat resources has special ties to Hampton; the polioti can in Hampton would like to see this happen to re-vitalize their declining waterfront. Cobia are in trouble; VMRC would like to demostrate that they support the failing recrateional salt water fishing industry in VA...it goes on and on. The pieces are on the table; tshe time is ripe...; everyone merely needs to say that it WILL lhappen. No negative comments...only support. I am not asksing for money, or letters ...I am asking if you and all the recreatiaonal anglers support this move to tlry to provide sukpport for the dangers of closing the Cobia Fisheryf in Va??

It can happen if all want it to happen. and it could begin soon. get aboard..

BobAllen

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Grady, I personally thank you for your many efforts on improving our fisheries. Your posts help point out the many pitfalls that come along the way.
It would be a very sad day that we all stop trying to improve recreational fishing.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Look into the white sea bass restoration in San Diego through the Dick Laub Fisheries Replenishment. An incredibly successful operation dependent on the cooperation of recreational anglers. Doesn't sound as difficult as one would think. Start small and scale.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts