Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 18 maycraft is stripped and awaiting paint. I am torn about what color to paint the hullsides. I REALLY like the look of a dark colored hull with a bright white bottom.

I shot the inside of the boat an off white, kinda similar to the color of Parker gel coat. I am leaning towards a navy or flag blue hull from the rub rail down to the chine, then bright white gel coat on the bottom.

Here is kinda what im talking about (not my boat). This hull is jet black, but you get the idea.

Tell me what ya'll think................would you own a dark colored hull?

·
Premium Member
18,673 Posts
I've wanted a black hull boat for a while, I like what I call deep water blue as well. I did not go with it on the boat I am getting simply because of resale. Some will tell you the dark colors are hard to keep up and will fade in the sun. All true. But I keep my boat on my trailer at my house which is in the shade when I am not using it so I never thought that would be such a big deal. I am sure it fades a bit just having it out fishing, but to me the darker color hulls just look sharp. If I was going to keep my boat for 5-10 years I would definitely get a dark hull, if you are looking to sell it with in a few years I might think twice.

My two cents from a fellow dark color hull admirer
Brandon

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you like waxing and playing with the orbital, or don't mind a chalky boat.........
That only applies to a boat that was gel coated a dark color. Marine enamel like awlgrip will last a long long time before it needs attention.

·
Registered
678 Posts
If my hull wasn't green, then it wouldn't match my T-Top.

I store my boat in the shade. dark hulls show water spots, scratches and salt pretty easily.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Only Downside would be if involved in A Search , Hard to see --

·
Registered
522 Posts
I have a dark hull that was gelcoated a lighter blue than I wanted and I painted over it, with awlgrip and after 3 years it still looks like new, except where I run into stuff with it!:52:

Good Luck.

DBM

Attachments

·
Registered
8,603 Posts
I love the look of a dark colored hull. Bill uses Alexseal for dark colors and they do not fade at all. www.alexseal.com Only reason I dont have a flag blue hull was cost. Only downside is that a piling swipe or something requires a repair. However the newer products like Alexseal are pretty easy to do.

Here is a 6 year old boat coated with Alexseal that was in for service and display for the open house and it still looks great!

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ever touch a Mercury motor cover in the sun?
I guess i am doomed cause i got a merc 4 stroke on the back of my maycraft that im about to paint a dark color.

·
Premium Member
4,735 Posts
dark hulls are like dark cars....
they look great when clean & shiney....
they show all the dirt & imperfections in the hull....
and are a pain to keep clean.

but i still really like it......almost all my cars have been black or dk blue
my boat was no available with a dark hull and IMHO it doesn't look as good on small boats as it does longer boats.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I have a dark blue hull and don't have any more trouble keeping it clean than the white hulls I've owned. That said if I were buying a new boat I'd go white but that's just personal preference. Go with what you like. By the way that is a sharp looking boat you posted the pic of.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Dark hulls are great looking, and actually really popular from your area on north. The guys down in Florida don't care for them nearly as much. If you are a person who keeps his boat pretty clean, I say go for it. Particularly if you are getting it done in paint, which as you said, is even easier to keep up than gelcoat. Make sure you post a pic or two when she is done.

The boat we decked out all the way to be in the Miami show last month was Flag Blue, and I think it is our prettiest boat so far.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Hey Mike, do you remember my red Four Winns Cuddy, I loved the darker hull when it was new, but damn that thing was tough to keep looking good after it got older but I am talking after 8-10 years and it was gel coat. I had it 18 years or so and it still looked pretty good if you cleaner waxed it then put a coat of paste on top.
That turned me off dark gel coat hulls from then on and I really like how easy the new white boat is to keep clean.
Some others pointed out something I never thought about and that is finding it in case of emergency.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts