Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Skinny water fisherman.
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over on FB, there are 2 more instances of flesh eating bacteria from fin spine wounds 1 was from a Spot, the other from a White perch. You're going to get spined, it's the nature of what we do. I got it 4 times today, the big cat really nailed me, driving his pectoral spine into my hand deep. ALL fish have the potential to introduce some sort of bacterial/viral infection. ANY wound that turns red, becomes swollen, becomes warm or has any streaking from it needs to be seen IMMEDIATELY. Time is of the essence if you've become infected. If it doesn't look or feel right it needs to be seen.

Carry betadine or alcohol on your boat and swab the wound immediately, not when you get home, right now. Alcohol prep pads will also work, hold it on the wound. I also douse my hands in alcohol when I get home when I'm done cleaning the catch and let it dry, don't wipe it off, let it dry.

None of use are getting any younger and with the nightmare that has been the last 2 years we don't need anything else to compromise our immune systems. One of these infections could be a death sentence for someone with a compromised immune system.

·
Registered
15,187 Posts
I carry Hibeclense on my boat. It is an antibacterial I bought at Walmart. There are many different types of infections you can get from Bay water. A puncture wound drives bacteria deep into your flesh and is hard to clean out unlike a cut. Keep an eye on your wound and if it becomes swollen with red lines coming from it, get to a medical facility quick. It is nothing to play with. There is no antibiotic for flesh eating bacteria, it has to be cut out. Get a pair of "Fish Off Gloves" from Rick Long......... Gary

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
I got stuck from a sail cat catfish in FL. My hand swelled up and it looked bad. A nurse that was also working in Beef O brady's said Andy get to the Hosp right now. I had to go to Hosp every day for some kind of treatment for a week. Doctor told me I had five different bacteria in me. Coast almost 2,000 bucks. Yes you have to be careful when fishing. If you get stuck, keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
604 Posts
If I cut myself or get poked on land or on water I'll squeeze and bleed it for a good minute or more before applying anything. Theory being to flush it. Been fortunate that I have not gotten a serious infection but as we age our immune system weakens so greater care needs to be taken. Oh and make sure your tetanus is up to date which reminds me...

·
Registered
Skinny water fisherman.
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got stuck from a sail cat catfish in FL. My hand swelled up and it looked bad. A nurse that was also working in Beef O brady's said Andy get to the Hosp right now. I had to go to Hosp every day for some kind of treatment for a week. Doctor told me I had five different bacteria in me. Coast almost 2,000 bucks. Yes you have to be careful when fishing. If you get stuck, keep an eye on it.
Gaff Topsail cats have a toxin in their slime which is why you needed the treatment. I've been spined by Lionfish and it didn't hurt as bad as some of the catfish spikes I've gotten over the years. Stargazers are another fish to be careful with because not only do they have dorsal spines that are toxic, they're also electric.

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
If I cut myself or get poked on land or on water I'll squeeze and bleed it for a good minute or more before applying anything. Theory being to flush it. Been fortunate that I have not gotten a serious infection but as we age our immune system weakens so greater care needs to be taken. Oh and make sure your tetanus is up to date which reminds me...
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake. :ROFLMAO:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts