Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Copied from link.. ( No wonder why there has been a blind eye turned)

"Omega is funded by the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT. Thats right. While reading through an SEC report last night my jaw hit the ground when I finally found the proof. NOAA and NMFS have guaranteed loans for this monopolistic company in order to get them lower interest rates and longer terms. NOAA currently has 10 million in unused approved loans for OMEGA Protein."

"Why is this a big deal? NOAA does studies on menhaden that affect the fishery, They test the water Omega puts out of their boats, They also fund Virginia institute of Marine Science(VIMS) who has produced bogus studies on menhaden under unrealistic conditions to "prove" Menhaden don't filter water which helped raise the quota."

"THIS IS CLEARLY A CONFLICT OF INTEREST"

·
Registered
884 Posts
If that is the case, we should probably stop trying to deal with the low level local politicians and go after the congressmen and senators to cut this funding out of NOAA and NMFS.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Hey Charlie, thanks for putting together the forum last night, overall I enjoyed the discussion. The one thing I'm interested in is why are you attempting to start another organization when we already have organizations fighting this already? Seems to me that with your energy and passion, we would be better off having you on the CCA for example leading the charge within that organization that has both local and national support. I did a quick google and both the VA and MD chapters have been very active on this subject. I support both chapters of the CCA as well as the MSSA, RFA, NAC, CBF, and probably a few others I've forgotten! I think all of them support your cause and could use you.

Capt Mike
chicsbeachrentalandfishing

·
Premium Member
1,804 Posts
Hey Charlie, thanks for putting together the forum last night, overall I enjoyed the discussion. The one thing I'm interested in is why are you attempting to start another organization when we already have organizations fighting this already? Seems to me that with your energy and passion, we would be better off having you on the CCA for example leading the charge within that organization that has both local and national support. I did a quick google and both the VA and MD chapters have been very active on this subject. I support both chapters of the CCA as well as the MSSA, RFA, NAC, CBF, and probably a few others I've forgotten! I think all of them support your cause and could use you.

Capt Mike
CCA does nothing but sit on their hands!

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Capt Mike
Guys, just to make it clear. I am only sharing info, I found here Yesterday.
I have not even sent money to them, but plan to!

IMHO another voice in the mix can not hurt. This guy seems to be focused on one thing
where the org's you mention focus on several things.
I feel his single focus may help to get more done, about the most damaging thing happening to the bay!

Maybe the above named organizations should help support and work with the Chesapeake Bay Defense Foundation

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Thanks for the link. Very nice presentation of the issue. I look forward to seeing more details of what course of action the CDBF has planned. Many have labored long and hard on this battle so it's nice to see some renewed passion.

However, the "about" section of the website needs more "meat" IMO. Is this a 501c? Who's on the BODs? Where does donated money go? How exactly do they plan to "be at the leading edge of the battle", have a "lasting impact", "push our agenda" etc?

These are really important specifics if they want people to get involved, and/or donate. If the creation of this organization is in part a reaction, or an "answer" to other organizations that have been involved in this battle for decades, what is their vision of how to succeed where they have not?

It's particularly crucial information, especially since this audience (TF) has heard the same "call to arms" from more established, better funded organizations.
Don't fight, Unite!:yes:

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Let's put our money where our mouth is. Only 18 donations thus far, let's get this focused effort going. I just donate $100 and willing to put much more into this as momentum builds. Need to make this a large grassroots effort to sway politicians.
19 now..
I kinda feel much of the money I sent to some of the other org's was not used in ways I would prefer. At least this guy is focused on my #1 Major concern! I would love to know that my grandchildren fish the bay. I have some faith that something/someone will help, so I help efforts with what ever I can.

Telling the enemy your plans of attack - or saying you will not, did not work for our current Administration. Maybe not sharing too much is better?

Guys, I do not have Facebook page so I can not post, but maybe some that want more info have one, and can ask..??

35 Posts
We are here.

The organization is a month old and i'm running the thing in my nonexistent spare time. I know based on the website we look like a big organization, its not. We are in the process of putting together a board of directors and establishing by laws and finishing the about section. We are all for commercial fishing, all for recreational fishing and not for industrial fishing. My main goal is to get Omega past the EEZ. In 6 weeks I've talked with every major player in the fight. I'm now part of the big machine fighting this that has been around for 40 years.

I've dumped everything I have into the startup. I'm not taking a paycheck for my efforts, every dime is going to marketing and getting our non profit status. We have just gotten our paperwork back from the SCC, and are an incorporated company. I am filing out the paperwork to become a non profit as we speak(or trying to figure out how too).

Charlie I really appreciate you posting here, over 500 people have been directed to the website from this link(thats how i knew to come here). Last night we had our first meeting and we will be having another one next month. Over 50 people were in attendance. I am open to hear anything anyone has to say. You can contact me through the contact me page on the website. WWW.chesapeakebaydefensefoundation.com I probably do not have time to monitor this site as i should but I will try to check in a few times a week in the future and keep you guys in the loop on what is going on. SPREAD THE WORD AND COME SEE US ON FACEBOOK OR CHECK OUT THE WEBSITE!!!!!!

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Welcome to TF!

Edit: BTW, isn't the "surry" they dump each time they net and Harvest.. The same as "bail water"
If so, they are breaking EPA rules most of the time,, when they harvest in bay and or with-in 3 miles from shore.
------------------------
"This Bail water consisted of water mixed with fish waste and was permitted to be discharged at a point beyond three nautical miles from the shore, provided it was not mixed with any other chemicals or wastes. "

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
and you drove a car with gas from them so you are also linked.
So do you and everyone else, but that was not why I referred to Bush. Big time people, big time power.

Me I voted for Bush, just saying just because I voted for him does not mean anything other than who else that has money in congress has stock in their company??? Follow the money and you might just find out why our congress controls menhaden fishing.

I would like something done to save our fisheries just like everyone else so I am not trying to stop or bad mouth anyone who is trying to do something constructive but just trying to get them to look for why congress controls these fish so they can look at all angles.

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
The way I understand it,, in Va waters, The Va General Assembly regulates menhaden fishing.

I think it needs to be said again. Many if not most of the recreational fishermen are NOT against commercial fishing.
I know a few comm's and have even fished with the guys! Yes, some take Menhaden. Yes, I consider them friends.
Its the industrial scale that Omega has taken it to. Va is the only state on east coast that allows it to happen in the bay.
And it is very very evident the damage it is doing to the health of the bay.

"50% of the entire east coast landing of menhaden come from the chesapeake bay and nearshore Virginia state waters and one company can land 80% of the whole coastwide catch"

IMO, all purse seine netting in Va waters need to be stopped! There is a difference. Harvest is not bad when the bay is healthy. The wholesale rape of the bay needs to be stopped.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Thanks for the link. Very nice presentation of the issue. I look forward to seeing more details of what course of action the CDBF has planned. Many have labored long and hard on this battle so it's nice to see some renewed passion. However, the "about" section of the website needs more "meat" IMO. Is this a 501c? Who's on the BODs? Where does donated money go? How exactly do they plan to "be at the leading edge of the battle", have a "lasting impact", "push our agenda" etc? These are really important specifics if they want people to get involved, and/or donate. If the creation of this organization is in part a reaction, or an "answer" to other organizations that have been involved in this battle for decades, what is their vision of how to succeed where they have not? It's particularly crucial information, especially since this audience (TF) has heard the same "call to arms" from more established, better funded organizations. Don't fight, Unite!:yes:
The site creator and brains behind this is currently working on becoming a non-profit and he is very close.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts