Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool
6,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thanks to van and his boat classic Hooker.we worked the canyons for warm water and we were rewarded.caught 22 kept our 1 BF around 50 lbs and c and rd.boated 21. Green machine took the most.could not keep them off
4 at at a time 3 times I reeled 18 van 3
we are coming in the inlet as I write. Van and I have lots of pics to be added later.thanks van for a memorable trip.

·
Registered
625 Posts
David,

That sounds very encouraging. Looked like a great day from the docks. I saw several boats coming back with tuna flags. Can't wait to see the pictures.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Way to go guys! After the first communion last weekend, and confirmation today, I've got a Baptism in a couple of weeks... Then the Catholic season comes to an end and I hope I can join you for the fishing season.

Glad you got things started off with a bang!

·
Registered
496 Posts
Charley - No giants or even over 59", just two sizes but mixed. Some were in the 29-33" range but over half were about 50 lb (45-49"). They were spread over a wide area from 80-150F in and around Poormans. Also lots of two-tones and several large whales as well as lots of tunas on top chasing bait, which mostly was 8-9" squid. We also caught a small yft (26 3/4" which we threw back).

Ralph - it was a great day and we were the only boat that we saw in Poormans trolling for tuna. A couple of boats pulled up during the morning to catch sharks, and one apparently was successful. We had one bite-off that possibly was a shark.

All in all, a great way to start the tuna season. Water was 66 when we arrived at 0730 and was about 64.5F when we left at 1400 hrs. The warm water apparently is pushing south. They were hitting everything in our spread, but bird/green machine way back and green squid spreader bar w/green machine by far their favorites, followed by natural cedar plugs. We started out with a mostly meat spread (blu/white llanders & trackers and blu/pink trackers) but didn't put them out again after they all went down at once. Hopefully Dave can post a pic or two after he gets home.

Van
"Classic Hooker"

·
6,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
BTW after cleaning the fish and the boat I COULD not leave Ocean City without buying The Captain a couple MAr gar itas...:yes::thumbup: At the OC Marlin ClubThanks.Also we only gaffed our Kill fish Van or I just p-ulled all the others up and over for a quick release.At least 4 times we saw the bites on the surface the fish came unglued so I quickly jigged the lines including the spreader bar which brought the fish back on and in some cases the same fish up to 4 times.First 6 fish I caught w/o a belt or harrnass but then a belt for the next 12 or so and eventually a harrnass. Van asked halfway thru If I wanted a break and I said "YOU MUST BE THINKING ABOUT SOMEONE ELSE NAMED DAVE TAYLOR AS I LOVE THIS ACTION, I WILL REEL ALL WE HOOK",GLADLY. I hope to Have REEL BUSTER Onscene by the weekend.BTW Ramp concrete is complete looks great there is only small asphate and the piers and 2 pilings left to be done trailer boys.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Nice day guys! Hopefully there are more big brothers to the yft you released also. Can't wait to get out

·
Registered
663 Posts
Hi Van,

Thanks for the detailed info. I'm down here in Buxton selling Apple Uglies at the Orange Blossom this week...I almost have all of our staff set up for the season and am getting ready to start fishing more once that's set up and running well enough. Might do some OC fishing this year and am glad to hear it's starting out well and seeing that water up there this early.

Charley

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
Dave and Van, Good going. I knew you'd have a good day since I told you I couldn't make it. Let me know when you go again. Of course the bite will be gone by then.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I was also out there saw one boat all day. We killed a 50 pounder released 6 two hooks pulled on the bluefins. Then set up for shark after one hour mako hits. 70 inches long 38 inch girth. All in 50-60 fathoms inside poormans. Water was 61-63 degrees.

Eddie
Bill Collector

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
David and Van great report. Lets hope for some good tuna waters this year.

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
Awesome!!! I hope you guys crush it this season. Sure starting off early.

·
6,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
There WERE a few smaller BF there too...

Photobucket

18 I keep telling myself ahh life is good.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Great day guys, and nice pics...hope Ty and I get a chance to fish with you guys again this year!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts