Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all the fishing and such in NJ, I cannot believe that no one posts here......[excited][excited][excited][excited][excited][excited][excited][excited]

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Wow! 22 views and nary a comment. Well, at least it shows someone is interested somewhat in the NJ board. You guys from Jersey??

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used to live in Toms River for quite a few years and kept my boat down near the Captain's Inn in Forked River. This is why I was wondering why no one posts here. I have fished many years out of Barnegat Inlet (1966 thru 1987) and know that there's lots of fishermen in the area. Ya'll (that's what they say down here in the south instead of you guys) need to talk more and post more fishing news here for everyone's benefit.

Used to clam behind Clam Island in behind Barnegat Inlet. Did real well. Used them along with green crabs (can't get them down here) to go togging ( blackfishing to you guys).

Anyway, it would be good to see some reports from around my hometown.

·
Registered
89 Posts
sandtiger -

i grew up in monmouth county, about 2 miles from the ocean. (am in central virginia now)

i'm going up there in a few weeks for a little 2 week vacation, plan on fishing daily - either in my yak, on my brother's boat, or from the jetties on the beach.

will let you know how i do.

expecting flounder, blues, striper, and anything else that's willing to take the bait!

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
nirschman -

Friend of mine went out with his kids about a week ago on Barnegat Bay and came back with 40 blues. He said it's beginning to pick up. Good luck.

I've been looking at yaks. Haven't made up my mind yet. Thinking about one between 14 and 16 foot; either Wilderness or an Ocean.

EDIT: spelling errors [sad]

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
nirschman,

I used to work for Electronic Associates, Inc. on Rt 33 in Eatontown. A buddy of mine was the comtroller for Mimm Associates which owned a lot of marinsa in the area including one that had a restaurant called the Channel Club. Eaten there - very good food.

Trackerz,

I think it was a great white (small one) and got some young kid surfing off Long Beach Island. That's not real good news, but it's been a looooooong time since there's been a shark attack in NJ.

Ever read the book by John Geiser called Shore Catch? He covers the shark attacks that happened years ago around the Cheesequake area. Several people were killed. Turned out to be a Bull Shark I think. Good reading though...... sounds like right out of Jaws...........[excited]

·
Registered
187 Posts
Grew up in Bucks co. Pa. summered in Ocean City NJ cut teeth on flounder, bluefishing, also have lots family there today including point pleasant area Monmouth co. i believe, there is a board jersey anglers seem to be fond of i believe its bassbarn , anyway maybe its still slow up there, brother reported tues. big stripers are still around, that tells me waters are slow warming this year. bill gimbel

·
Registered
70 Posts
Bassbarn is the go-to board for the Delaware Bay at:

http://www.thebassbarn.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum;f=4

I'm from NE Philly originally, fished DEBay heavy in the60's-70's, and got back into saltwater 2 years ago. Things have certainly changed, but I enjoy going back to my roots. Living in South Central PA means a longer drive, but there's someting about the bay that draws me back. I'm an hour closer to Kent Narrows, and launch there also, and might give Gunpowder river launches a try this year. Why drive the extra 1.5 hours to get skunked?[wink]

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Friend came down to VA (yorktown area) where I live from NJ (where I used to live); Toms River area and spen the holiday here. The wives went shopping in Williamsburg and such. We fished. Got some nice flounder (fluke in NJ) and nice big croakers about 16" long.

Caught a bunch of fish on the 4th on some stuff called Fish Bites that were supposedly crab flavored. Worked so well I bought some on the way home. Friend went home today back to Bayville (where he lives) just south of Toms River. Said it's been slow up there.

Cobia are still going strong here. A little late for this much activity which shows that things are really behind this year.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm new to the board and I am in New Jersey. I fish Sandy Hook and Raritan Bay. I also fish a lot out of OC maryland and I'm using this site to follow the action down there. Originally from MD, I grew up fishing the Chesapeake and OC back bays. NJ has an outstanding fishery compared to MD. Especially for rockfish (stripers), flounder (fluke), and bluefish (choppers) LOL. Beleive it or not, the water is not brown and it dosen't smell. Clean Healthy fish and lots of em!

Happy to be aboard,

Bubbles

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lots of good fluking in the Raritan. When I was a teenager I had a boat I kept at Bingert's Marina up in Highland Park on the Raritan River. Had to moor the boat in the river. Had a small engine (15 hp) and lived in Metuchen. To get to the boat I used to ride the Public Service bus and carried the enigne back and forth to the boat. Once in a while one of the drivers would not let me bring the engine on the bus.

Once in Highland Park I had to walk from Rt 27 to the river with the engine. It was quite a long walk. When I go to the marina I put the engine on the floating dock and swam out to the boat, untied it, and towed it back to the main dock where I put the engine on. Spent a lot of time with that boat on the river and out on the Raritan Bay.

This thread brings back a lot of memories......... [excited]

·
Registered
89 Posts
sandtiger-

sorry for the slow reply, but i have been reading your posts for the last few weeks.

the story about you dragging an engine to your boat using mass transit is classic!

having used ny/nj mass transit many times, i can't even imagine!

also, you said you worked at eai in eatontown?

if i'm not mistaken, i graduated from high school not far from there, in fact, almost across the street: shore regional.

anyway, thanks for the entertaining posts, i will be fishing nj just days from now, will let you (all) know how it goes!

-nirschman

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
nirschman,

Please understand that when I was 'dragging' that little engine back and forth to my boat from the south end of town in Metuchen (near Rt. 1) to Highland Park (just before the Rt 27 bridge over the Raritan River) it was 1960 to 1962. I moved (Dad got a different job) to Toms River in 1963 where I finished up high school and kept the boat in Island Heights. The rules as they are today and the EPA did not exist.

EAI is off Exit 105 on the GSP east of the Eatontown Circle. I worked there for about seven years prior to being laid off in 1986. I got so upset about losing my job I went home and called my buddly Bobby up and told him I needed to go fishing (Friday March 3, 1986) and so we left at about 2 the next morning and went cod fishing on the Paramount (one of the Bogan brother's boats) out of Point Pleasant. Went to Red Square about 5 to 6 hours out.

Monday morning at about 10 a.m. a company from Virginia called me said they heard I lost my job, "How about coming to work for us?". I politely told them no that I did not want to live in Virginia and that something would come up.

Five months later in August they called again and said, "Since you haven't found anything yet, how about working out of an office we just bought in Ocean, NJ?" I relented as I needed work and still was wondering "How did they know this about me?" No one would give me an answer and to this day I know not how they got their information or from whom........... but I did work for them as a contractor type for the next two months until they asked if I'd like to come onboard for the remainder of the contract as a regular employee with benefits. Once again I relented.

A year and a half went by and about the time the job was coming to an end I got a call from the Palaverde (?) Nuclear Power Station in Phoenix and they wanted me to come to work for them as a contractor. As it turned out without a story longer than it is already, I ended up accepting a full time job with the first company in Virginia. The 4th person to come look at the house in Bayville, NJ where I was living at the time bought it and my wife was not happy about moving.

We now live in the Yorktown area of VA and I have worked for another company for the past 15 years. All is well and as it turns out I would not move back. Toms River where I grew up is extremely crowded as it is not the quiet little fishing town I knew as a teenager and I have come to like the laid-back ways of where I live now.

Anyway, that's how I got down here. Now my neighbor thinks I still live in NJ because of so many friends coming to visit. He says that there are more NJ cars at my house than there ever will be VA cars, but i think he's stretching the truth a bit.

Interesting about graduating from Shore Regional. When I graduated from TRHS it drew students from about ten different towns, but never was called a regional high school.

My son and one of my daughter's went to Central Regional in Bayville and my brother now lives in Bayville also.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Sandtiger, I remember growing up in Forked River and we had only one stoplight (Rte 9 & Lacey Rd. ), now there is a stoplight on just about every corner. The area that I used to hunt is is not a retirement village. When I was in high school we would fill the cooler with beer take a head boat out of Pt. Pleasant and fish for blues all night.My brother graduated from Central.I was lucky enough to attend Lacey High.The service brought me down here and I had to stay cause the area I live in now is alot like F.R. used to be. I still have family up there so I have to go up every once in a while, but now I am considered a Benny. I hope I get a chance to wet a line when I go up,the fishing/crabbing was always alot of fun up there.

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
trackerz,

Do you know the Harzold family from Forked River??

When did you attend Central HS?

I moved to Bayville and lived north of Korman's Corner just off Millcreek Road on Neptune Ave. My son and daughter went to Central also. My daughter finished up here in Virginia.

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
[Q]nirschman originally wrote:
sandtiger -

i grew up in monmouth county, about 2 miles from the ocean. (am in central virginia now)

i'm going up there in a few weeks for a little 2 week vacation, plan on fishing daily - either in my yak, on my brother's boat, or from the jetties on the beach.

will let you know how i do.

expecting flounder, blues, striper, and anything else that's willing to take the bait!
[/Q]

I'm looking around for a yak.. Tell me about yours and why you picked that particular one. Thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
Sandtiger, My brother graduated from Cenral in '81.The name does not sound familiar,but then its been 20 years since I've lived there.

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
trackerz,

The Harzold family donated a lot of land to the Catholic church there on Lacey Road and in return the church named the street along side of it Harzold Drive (or Lane or Street or something like that).

Anyway, here I am living in the Tidewater area of Virginia near Yorktown and working in the local shipyard. I was assigned to work on a new project. More people on different teams were being added all the time.

One day in a meeting during a lull, I comment on this guy's accent and that he sounds like he's from Jersey. "Correct", he says. So, I asked where from; what exit (hehe). He tells me he grew up in Forked River and proceeds to tell me all about the place. His mom and dad are the ones who donated the land to the church. What's also interesting is that I put the sound system in their church's gymnasium!!

Anyway, there you go. Small world. BTW, my brother owns a transmission shop in the indutrial park just north of the power plant (Oyster Creek) near the Goodyear Store.

Interesting post this is turning out to be. It is a shame thought that Brandon has put this board up here and hardly anyone uses it. But I am enjoying the reminiscing. [grin][grin][grin]

·
Registered
89 Posts
sandtiger -

sorry for the sort of late response. am in nj, and only sporadically checking mail. fishing has been so-so, but i've still got a week to come up with at least one big haul!

anyway, as far as the yak goes, i've got a 14 foot wildnerness systems pungo. i'm very happy with it - it does what i intended it to do (a wide variety of fishing, from the shallow water parts of the bay/western shore, to the james river, to small freshwater rivers, to lakes, etc.).

it's a "sit inside" kayak, as opposed to the "sit on top" variety.

i got a sit-inside because i thought it might protect me from spray a little more than a sit-on-top, and i planned to (and actually have done quite a bit of) cooler/cold water fishing. i didn't want to have to invest in neoprene/dry suits/etc. that most sit-on-top guys use during colder months. (although i probably would be smart to do so.)

i don't use a "skirt" on my kayak, because i keep my rods and fishing gear, drinks, camera, etc. under the front deck and behind me in back of the seat, and i need that stuff to be quickly accessible. i also have a "dry storage" hatch in the back for spare clothes and other gear, which is something i liked about the pungo model.

i got the 14 footer because the longer the yak, the better it "tracks", or stays in a straight line on longer paddles. i've paddled mine as much as 12 or more miles in a day, and it tracks very well. not much side-to-side correcting. the downside is, you can't turn on a dime like you can with shorter boats, but most of my fishing is wider water anyway, so that's not a huge factor for me.

now, as far as what you should get, well, it's really up to your preferences and what you plan on using it for, as well as which kayak you enjoy paddling the most. quite a few places that sell them (and i'm really referring to specialty stores, not big box retailers like dick's or bass pro shops) will let you try out yaks before you buy. also, the guys on the kayak fishing board of this tidalfish site will be very helpful when you are really getting down to considering different models. in fact, somebody's usually getting advice about diffferent yaks at any given time, so you might get info from just checking that board out right now!

one model that seems to be very popular with the saltwater yak guys is the wilderness systems tarpon 14 or 16 foot sit on top kayak. it's specifically designed for (saltwater) fishing, and i know a couple of guys who have one, and each is very happy.

but again, a lot of it will be up to your preferences, size, intended use, and so forth.

i'll tell you one thing that's great - once you buy the yak, and the accessories you want, that's it. no more expenses. no insurance, no gas, taxes, very little maintenance (ok, maybe NO maintenance in my case!), etc. throw it on your car, and you can go ANYWHERE!

so, hope that helps a bit, will keep you posted on the fishing here in nj when i get back to va!

-joe

p.s. - interesting reading your nj stories!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts