Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Headed to the cell this weekend to do some spadefishing for the first time and was hoping someone could share some information on whether or not a wreck anchor is necessary and if so, what is the correct way to use it. Thanks in advance for any helpful info

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
anchor is an anchor. people use wreck anchors because you do not lose them as often. everyone should have a spare. you do not need one but if you get hung with your main you will then wish you had a wreck anchor. they are better because the tines give and bend allowing you to mussle it up when stuck.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So it is best to use that instead of main anchor? Will a wreck anchor hold bottom if you drop it up from wreck and drift back towards structure or does it actually have to catch on structure?

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
The cell is 10 feet deep and the water around it is 40 feet. You will lose a regular anchor 99% of the time if you try and hook the structure with that. You will lose a wreck anchor some of the time if you try and hook the structure. It is possible to use a regular anchor in the sand and drift back to the structure, but not necessarily easy. You will need to power 120-150 ft upcurrent, drop anchor, drift back 120-150 feet and hope you are over the structure. As soon as the wind or tide changes you will drift off structure. If you miscalculate distance you will either rub anchor line on structure and break it or not be far back enough to be on it. - wreck anchor with chain recommended.

Please post or bmail report. I can’t fish this weekend (stupid weddings) but I suspect the smaller spades have taken over by now.

Good luck.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks cuhollow. I will post report Monday. When you say the smaller spades have taken over, what do you mean by "smaller?" I've fished at the Chesapeake Light Tower for spades before, are the same tactics used at the Cell? Could you tell me exactly where the structure comes up to 10' relative to any bouys out there? Thanks again in advance. The Light Tower is fairly easy to fish, you tie off and drop clam. I'm guessing you need to be directly over the structure at the Cell to catch them and I don't have the exact gps coordinates to get right over the structure. Any info would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
cell structure is roughly a big circle around bouy. I have not lost my anchor there yet???!! maybe i have been lucky...

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I think Billy is referring to the artificial reef. The main structure of the cell is an sunken building used to deguase (sp?) ships. Something about demagnifying them so they can hide better .......... Anyway I sent you a bmail

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
your right sorry. it is cool they used that structure to demagnetize the ships so they would be less attractive to mines in the war.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My best friend spent the night at the cell last night for spades.....I will post his report here when I hear from him later today when he returns! It is an hour and a half run from us so you gotta make it worth it!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Talked to my buddy last night......he caught no spades at the cell! He did however have some luck with the flounder there and by sunrise had at least one trout on the vessel. Croakers were in the bag as well of course!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Fished 42 Saturday and caught a few nice flounder on minnow/squid and some huge croaker. Fished the cell Sunday morning and caught a bunch of small stripers and bluefish but no spades. Anyone know where the spades went?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts