Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I rock!
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going out of Rudee next week and want to catch some Bleck sea bass. How far off shore do we need to go and where are the wrecks? never did this before but want to try something new

·
Registered
10,547 Posts
For a shot at decent fish you're gonna have to head at least 30 miles or more offshore this time of year . If you've never wreck fished from your boat before , you're much better off going with someone else or bringing someone with you that knows the wrecks in that area and has experience fishing them . Think deep water , 150 plus feet . Here is a link to Virginia wrecks . Once you get on the site , click on an area of interest , then click on an individual dot . This will give you the name of the wreck and GPS #'s . Very cool site . 150 to 200 feet is a good place to start looking . VIRGINIA SHIPWRECKS

·
Premium Member
26,290 Posts
Be sure to rig up 2-3 jugs with about 200 feet of line on them.Mark the line at 100 feet and then every 10 feet after that.The idea is too only let out enough line plus ten feet to hit bottom near the wreck.Marking it with 1-2 jugs gives you a visual when you anchor.

Having too much line will place the jug too far off the wreck.It might take 5-6 tries to get the anchor just right but in wreck fishing- postion is EVERYTHING.15 feet left or right can mean a world of differance.Wind or current changes may force a re anchor.

I scuba dive wrecks off OC and it amazes me how a 120 foot long wreck can have all the fish on a 20' x 20' corner.The rest of the wreck can be blank.

If it is very calm - you might be able to make a drift over the wreck to guage the fish size.Often the bigger Sea Bass hit first.If you caught little ones right away- often that means no bigger ones around.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts