Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran offshore with a friend to a close wreck and broke out the scuba eq. I was going to look for two anchors that we lost last year. This was my first time diving offshore, I was a little nervous following the anchor line down! I got to the wreck and was in aw from all of the fish, it was like swimming in an aquarium. I came up instantly and told keith to give me the speargun, I was going huntin! 5 minutes later I came up with my first speared fished, a sheepshead about 5lbs. There was a school of 5 or so and one turned broadside at the wrong time! I let him dump my fish off and went back and swam around the perimeter of the wreck. I found a school of much bigger tog and shot 2 about 7lbs. I never did find any anchors, but man was that awesome, I am hooked!!! Pieces of the wreck rose about 12-14ft above the floor and had tons of life, flounder, bass, tog and tons of little strange different fish. I missed a flounder by inches with the dive knife!!

Had about 12' viz at least if not more

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeha, I prob could do with out the tank, but im a sissy and like to breathe.

I have sextant angles if you want numbers[smile][smile][smile]

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
I AM SURE YOU ALL HAVE SEEN THIS PAGE TOO, BUT JUST IN CASE...........

http://www.ldcscuba.com/dive-wreck.htm

·
Registered
12 Posts
Anyone have GPS #s to any of the wrecks near Virginia Beach?

I'll be down from 7/28/06 thru 8/6/06 with a 17 ft boat for nearshore diving/spearing

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
go to jim baughs website

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
When I had my boat at OC,some guys in the slip next to me used to dive at night.They'd come in during the morning with a bushel of Lobsters.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I had a day off from tuna fishing so I dove the ol wreck again last wednesday. I got two anchors, that took a while cutting the lines and hooking them up to ours. I went hunting after that. I did horrible! Lost a big tog, had a flounder with my knife and he got away trying to put him on a stringer, then I saw a decent size AJ and went for him, shaft didnt stick and he was gone! err. I still had a great time, viz only 8-10ft and strong current. We did get some spades after I came back up. I will be back working on the boat for the next 2 weeks im sure.

http://www.toplessfishingcharters.com

Anyone know what is the minimum depth to find lobsters? I havent seen one yet

·
Premium Member
26,095 Posts
You might be glad that AJ got away.We call them wreck mules.Try a lift bag for the anchors next time.Real easy to use and you don't have to "carry" your find back to your anchor line. Skip

·
Registered
443 Posts
has anyone tried spearfishing at the cbbt this year? if so what was the vis and the water temps like. any info on local diving would be great.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Just Read your message.If by chance your going out to dive any wrecks off the Eastern Shore, drop me a line, I've been divingfor about 5 years, just havent had a chance to dive off the ES.

Thanks Mike Perez

·
Registered
805 Posts
IF conditions are perfect, I said IF, I would try at the 1st. island at the CBBT and stay close to shore. Out of RI you'll be offshore on a 17ft. boat and there is nothing you can do about the weather, it can turn bad fast. What about radio, kick motor etc.

Best of luck

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Good Idea on the lift bag that would have helped, I was lucky and they both were only about 10ft away hooked together.

I dont have all the little toys yet, got to spend some more $$

What other things do you carry down with you when you go?

·
Registered
805 Posts
Not much, as little as possible. if I'm freedivin, try to get that fish in the boat pronto pronto and right back to work.
With scuba, if I'm in 15' to 20' just the same as freediving if the boat is just overhead but if the boat or the shore is 50' or more then I just take a lg. bag with a line about 6ft. long and take it alone at the tip of the fingers always ready to let it go in a hartbeat or a fish metal stringer by JBL if I know the site produces very few fish. An extra spear tip (rotating long winged twin spinner rock point) is a must, a sausage, two 44s magnums alum. tip in a film container and a power head (I'll never use it and I have proven that many times, you just don't have the time when the "Sh*&^% hits the fan" but It make you feel safe, mentaly. It's all in the head, an old habit from yesteryears.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts