Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys im thinking about running a Tony Acceta spoon on my way back line.How much inline weight should I use. Line is 60# braid with a 18 ft. mono leader. What other lures would be good to try on my way back line besides a stretch? Thanks!

·
Registered
438 Posts
I run 2 lures on my WWB line either a white daisy chain or spoon in tandem with a 2-4 Oz parachute. I run no weight on either and have had luck on both it's a coin flip on which one I run.

·
Registered
562 Posts
TH, I am no expert but here is what I have learned in the past 2 years (Help from several experts on this board)
I now run a 14 rod spread and we tried running Tony's several times
They are more trouble than they are worth for me, try a daisy chain or a light single or light tandom in their place
Spoons have caused us nothing but grief trying to run them- Skip runs a couple and they work for him but.....
We run 4 singles, 4 tandoms, 4 double umbrellas, and 2 deep mojo's with an umbrella also (8 on planers- 6 on the gunnels)
This spread works great for us, we tried running lures way back and never hooked up on them- boat wash??
Your boat may be different- some guys use wwb's and catch plenty
Another thing to remember is your turning can be a B&^%&^ch with rods back 300+ft, my crew never wanted to real them in either??(dont know why-haha)
We moved our way backs onto the planers and started catching fish on them???
Last year we were out one day in the same area with Skip- we boated 24 fish by 2pm and he boated 26- he stayed out 1 hour past us???
No spoons in the mix at all- if you do choose to run them, keep them away from your other lures since they spin and wobble all over the place
Again I am not an expert on this but I have done a lot of homework and gotten a lot of good advise from the experts around here
Good luck out there

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I support TidalFish.
2,946 Posts
I would run a tandem - the spoon and a 9" Storm.

·
Premium Member
26,107 Posts
A Tony #21 is a great lure to run :thumbup: or a 13/0 Cripple Alewive.Lay one next to a big Menhadden :yes: - perfect match.I always run a spoon wwb.

You can use a 4 or 6 oz parachute as a "weight" that will catch Rock ;-).

Buy a heavy duty 3/0 three way swivel.Off one leg- drop about 6 feet of 60lb. leader -I like Ande.

Off the other leg- attach a 100lb. Sampo ball bearing snap swivel.Use 15 feet of 60 lb. leader-then tie on a Sampo 100lb.Be sure the fat end points to the three way - this keeps debri out of the swivel.Next use another 15 feet and tie on your spoon.

Let it out SLOWLY and pause it now then.Sometimes fish hit it going out.

I like to use 300 feet of 80 lb. braid backed up with 50lb. mono.All we do is let it out slow until all the braid is off the reel- then another 10-20 feet of mono.Put it in a sturdy rod holder off the top and you'll get hit :yes:.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
---Long lines Are an excellent tool to produce large fish , BUT if you decide to troll amongst boats that are Congragated in Close patterns , Consider picking up the REEEL long ones before getting into the Action --Long lines hamper your Turning Patterns & ability to stay on the fish -

·
Registered
826 Posts
Riverman spoons are my fav lures to pull. Tonys, CA`s, secret spoons, drones, bunker spoons. They all catch big fish, WWB or off the boards. If they spin you are going to fast and with some practice you can run several along with your tandems and umbrellas.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts