Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are currently putting together a group expedition to the flats on the 29th. See the kayakfishingstuff DelMarVa forum. It requires registration, so if you don't want to all you need to know is several have already committed to come... but if we could really get a bunch of kayaks out there together it would be great.

I realize many of you frequent both forums, but wanted to advertise here as well. I will post details here as they are decided there, but feel free to weigh in.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
We have 5 definites, and several more probably to maybes. We are meeting at Tydings Marina at 8:00AM. My cell is 4438543049 if anyone wants to crash the party and needs info at the last minute. Many more details at KFS DelMarVa forum, as indicated above.

Josh

·
Registered
30 Posts
Well, I am not the best at report writing, but I'll give it a quick shot[wink] We had an eight kayak armada leave Tydings right around 8:30, decided to head south but as soon as we left the marina we saw boats more to the "Northeast" so we headed that way. We began "trolling" on our way and it wasn't to long before we found fish. We caught a few schoolies on our way, and a few more when we got close to the boats - nothing large- but they were fun. We sort of split up at that point, into 2-3 yaks and looked for more fish. We did alot of paddling (at least it was alot for me) Most of us ended up in one area where we caught fish pretty consistently for the rest of the day. Two Kayaks went in search of bigger fish further south, I don't know how they did.
I ended up releasing about 8-10 fish, lost about 8 more for various reasons. most of my fish were caught with a crystal minnow or a white plastic, couldn't buy a hit on green[sad]
The best thing is, everybody caught fish[tongue] Thanks to everybody who showed up it was nice to meet and fish with you all. Can't wait until the next time.
[excited]

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Great job guys! Good to hear everyone caught some fish!
I hope to meet up with you guys on a future trip.

My brother and I are heading to Janes Island May 20-21, (arrive on Sat and come back on Monday). All are welcome to join us. This will be our first time yak fishing these waters, so the more yaks the better for exploring and finding some fish.

Here is some info on the park.

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/publiclands/eastern/janesisland.html
There are tent and cabin campsites at the park.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm one of the two that went south... we did not find any big fish... lots mores schoolies.

When we finally made it back to Tydings around 4:00, I decided I couldn't give up without a final attempt at the very north end of the flats (less than 1/4 mile from Perryville Park). I got my biggest fish, but by no means a monster, at 7 lbs, just after 8PM. I saw several cows caught just before dusk as well in the area.

Dad and I went back to there in a canoe Monday night. We caught more schoolies, and one decent fish over 30 inches on bait. At around 9:00 (we were late off the water), we were in about 3-4 feet of water just Southeast of Perryville Park, and the water was THICK with huge spawning stripers. They were all over the place. We spooked at least 25 as our boat drifted up on them... water literally coming in the boat as they exploded out of there. Got one explosive blowup on topwater... failed to hook up, but stopped fishing that since I couldn't see it well in the dark. Switched to a very large loud rattling minnow and had what was probably my biggest fish all year... at least it pulled on my drag FAR harder than any fish all year, but it broke me off.

At that point our light died and we decided that even though the fishing could have been insane, we didn't want to be dealing with monster fish and trebble hooks in the pitch black.

And yes, they do lock the gate of Perryville Park at Sunset. OOPS. Don't ask me how we got out.

Josh

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm halfway tempted to try an intentional evening trip on Wednesday... say 6 to 10 PM, which is the last day of the season. But I would only want to do it with company.

Josh

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.