Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a place on the Eastern Shore (Va) recently, on the day after I closed on the house I tested a Tarpon 160. I was very impressed with the stability and straight track of the thing, so I ordered one on the spot. I thought about checking the Internet or using one of the big Yak houses near DC, Atlantic Kayak is here in Alexandria, and Springriver is close. I decided to buy from a local shop because I like to support small businesses when I can. I was originally told that it would take two weeks to order what I wanted. Then I was told that it would take a month, or I could take a color I didn't want. I decided to wait for an Olive Drab one like I wanted. No mention was made of the business perturbations ongoing at Wilderness Systems. I was not misled, just not told the whole story. The guys in the shop appear to be very earnest and are trying to get my boat, but I was told last week that the boat was shipped and would be there in 3 to 6 days. Weellll maybe not. I don't want to be an AH about it, but it's spec time and I'd like to fish in the TKAA tourny in October and still no boat (yak that is, I have other boats). They have offered to lend me one, but I'm about at the end of my rope here.
I put it to TF Yak fisherman: Do you think I should pull the plug on the purchase or wait it out? They ran the card charge two months ago.

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Well, I'm in sort of the same boat you are except I bought one (Tarpon 140) in August off the dealer floor and it has a warp in it and the keel was not straight. I didn't know to look for stuff like this when I bought it.

The dealer loans me a Tarpon 120 and I use it. Time goes on and a week later I'm told the boat cannot be fixed, WS is going thru some times, and they don't know when I can get a replacement; would I like my money back. I said no.

WS contacted me as a reply to me trying to get someone to commit to a date. They told me to use the one I have, mount on it what ever I want, and they'd replace the boat. I'd just have to remove everything I put on it. No Problem and I am a happy camper.

I do not know for sure when I'll get my new boat, but WS sent me an e-mail and told it would be in the next 3 to 5 weeks. Okay.

If they offered you a loner; take it and use it. Wait for your 160 it's a nice boat. It will worth your while. I saw a Prowler for sale and the guy was buying a Tarpon because after using one he liked the Tarpon better. I chose WS Tarpon because after paddling several I also like the Tarpon better.

WS will get thru this and all will be okay one day. Hang in there.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I ordered a T160i from kayakfishingstuff.com last Wednesday. I am picking it up on Monday here in Norfolk. Their prices aren't rock bottom but they are having a 10% off sale right now and that puts them up front. I got it in yellow which is what I wanted. I know they still have some orange ones and maybe yellow. ARC has no 160i's. Wildriver has a camo one.

The guy I talked to at KFS said basically the same a stated before, that Wilderness Systems bought Perception and a couple other yak companies and were going through some growing pains. He said he was having trouble getting hold of them too but didn't seem worried.

Tom

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
If you get 10% off and then you pay for shipping?is it still a better deal?,

·
Registered
575 Posts
For the 160i it was. If I had gotten the Prowler 15 or 13 I would have gotten it at ARC or WRO. Actually, I went over to WRO the next day and they had the camo one on sale for about $70 less than what I paid but I don't want a dark colored yak for anything.

Tom

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
The camo one at WRO is olive drab with some tan swirled in to it. Their number is 757-431-8566.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts