Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I purchased a Century Bay Boat recently with an upgraded motor from a Yami 115 fs to a Yami 150 Fs... It has 2 batteries and a Battery switch to use 3 position Batt A Batt B or Both. After a Good Charge on the Batt I get a Weak Start from Position A and B but in the Both Postition it is much Stronger .... What read on please... Once I unload the boat at the ramp and get it started I run a few miles stop and turn off the motor in any one of those Battery Position it will not crank over, almost seems as if its a Bad or weak battery
... After about 30-50 minutes the Motor cranks over in the Both position but will still not crank in the individual batt position A or B .. Both batteries were pulled and tested ok bye Exide

Seems when the motor is Hot is when this seems to be at its worse...Anyone have any similar Yamaha Issues???? I am desperatly looking for help..

Jay

·
Registered
390 Posts
humm

well if you went for 115 hp to 150 you may have a batt load problem, its takes a good 900 mca or cca to turn that engine, also I hate to say it but you could have a bad starter or head problem. here's a tip to try check the draw on your batterys whlie cranking, use a load tester to see how many amps the starter draws and compare that with your batt rating, ( starter draws 500 amps , batterys cca is 560 too weak ) even with duels you'll still need the main to be strong or it will pull down both, now for the heat thing, make sure you engine is cooling rigth, when a starter is too hot or worn its drags, also on low amps,
if you have a miss in the engine on start up there could be water on top the piston (bad news) also if your engine is overheated it may not starter untill its cools. good luck

·
Registered
573 Posts
Check your battery terminals and connections- make sure theyre all tight and clean. I sorta doubt that the batteries that came with the boat would be too weak, but checking the CCAs (it might just have MCAs on it- marine cranking amps) wouldnt be a bad idea.

How old is the motor?

Jay
"KwikRelease"

·
Registered
169 Posts
Like the others said. Check all the connections. I had a similar problem (sounded like a bad battery) with my yammy and it was the ground on the motor. It looked tight but it was just a touch loose. No problem since.

·
Registered
322 Posts
The Yamaha 4 stroke has a recall for a hot start problem. It's kind of a hot start vapor lock. Not sure when you got the motor but all dealers know about the recall and how to fix it. take it to your closest dealer. If you have owned the motor for more than 4 months and have not taken it to get the fix that is likely what it is since your batteries check out. However, as others mentioned check the battery grounds, especially on the block under the cowling near the starter. Also, see if your boat has a grounding plate and if so check it there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You may want to look at your dual battery switch and ensure the connections are tight and clean. I have had problems with the dual switches going bad, internal resistance of the switch contacts. Also chech your battery terminals and make sure they have good crimps on the lugs. Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
YAMI 150 problem solved

Thanks to all who have replied , This was a Doozy hope no one ever goes thru this.
Looks as if the 4 ga cables are for a 115 four stroke which is what was on this boat originally ... I wanted the Max horsepower so I ask to have a 150 fourstroke put on instead of the 115. Seem simple was told is bolt to bolt and nothing was needed to be done otherwise... Seems that's wrong. With the 4 ga wiring the starter was always weak and when running on lone distance it was not recharging the batteries... Yesterday Thanks to Boatel California ( Bryon) we were able to troubleshoot this with the larger cabels and once they were used the Starter flew like you wanted to here. It took us 2 1/2 hours to re-route the new cables and go for a testride... I ran for 10 miles or so and stopped the motor. This where before I could not even get it to turn over in any Position
of the battery switch for 20-40 minutes dead in the water . This time turning the key this Baby cranked over like a champ...

IF ANYONE OUT HERE IS HAVING YAMAHA PROBLEMS I STRONGLY SUGGEST BOATEL CALIFORNIA IN MARYLAND ( WEBSITE ) WWW.BOATELCALIFORNIA.COM

I cannot stress WHat a good job Bryon did. He was way better than Outstanding.

Jay

1 - 11 of 11 Posts