Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2004 40hp tiller. Low oil light is on but oil level is fine. Seems to run fine at idle speed. Advancing throttle past maybe 30% gets no response from motor. Thinking maybe since oil light is on we have oil pump issue? If we find way to circumvent the oil pump and just mix the gas will it then let the engine speed up or will it still be governed to slow speed? Suggestions appreciated!

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
2004 40hp tiller. Low oil light is on but oil level is fine. Seems to run fine at idle speed. Advancing throttle past maybe 30% gets no response from motor. Thinking maybe since oil light is on we have oil pump issue? If we find way to circumvent the oil pump and just mix the gas will it then let the engine speed up or will it still be governed to slow speed? Suggestions appreciated!
If you premix and are able to by-pass the oil pump you will likely have to unplug the oil sensor as it sounds like the motor has an RPM limiting device that kicks in when the sensor is activated. Just disconnecting the sensor should by-pass it, at least I was able to do this on both an OMC and a Suzuki motor.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. Unplugging the sensor didn't resolve the problem (or we didn't find the right sensor to unplug). Talked to a mechanic who recommended new oil level gauge assembly, he said that was more likely than the oil pump itself. Trying that today.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
I have a 1996 30 hp that runs great but will go into safe mode with oil light on when oil is low. But even when 1/3 oil left in tank. I'm sure it's the sensor. Please let me know when you know for sure and how you found the sensor.

·
Registered
11,288 Posts
Dirty Carb. from bad gas. I use fresh 89 octane + merc. quick kleen + merc. quick care in every tank.I always use fresh gas and mix 50-1 with merc. synthetic oil. Very little if any smoke from engine, unlike mineral 2 stroke outboard oils.I don't trust oil injection. I don't burn much gas on my trips so I mix up my fuel 5 -10 gal at a time in 2-6- and 1-12 gal portable(for longer trips ), clean marine fuel containers. I don't trust large in floor fuel tanks with old residue fuel.My engine is a 94-125 hp. merc. it starts and runs like new. When I bought the used boat 7 years ago for a song(because the owner thought the engine was on it's last legs) it didn't run like that. Now, it starts right up, no more coughing, sputtering, or stalling.Try these type products from your outboard manufacturer and I'll bet your engine will run like new after a 15-20 gal. of use, maybe even in 6-12 gallons of use.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts