Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a good quality Yamaha Certified Shop in the area and would like advice from TFer's. Can trailer it as needed.

It's a 225 HP two stroke on a 25 Mako CC, with 2-3 thousand hours and had been running very well until just the other day. Any & all suggestions on where to take it would be greatly appreciated. The gentleman that owns it is a good friend of mine, has just moved to the area and needs to get a good mechanic in that area.

Thanks,
Kevin Smith
Weekend Mistress

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Kevin,
Don, behind Sports Inc. on Rt.17 at the NN/ York County line does all of our work. Fair prices and quality work is what you can expect.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Kevin,

I second what eroller said. I have been using Don at Sports Marine to service my outboard motors/boat since around 2001. He helped me through a lot of pain with a 175 Johnson FICHT that was a real lemon (as were they all). He went the extra mile to press the claims from the extended warranty on the FICHT which saved me a lot of money. I eventually ended up buying a new Yamaha 225 4-stroke from them. No problems with it, but he has done all of the service work since it was new.

Good luck!
Rich

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Kevin, what side of the water are you on? If the southside, Va Beach, Norf, Ches call B&T Marine 407-5516. Terron is a great mechanic and is fair with his prices.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Kevin,

Sorry your friend is having a problem.

A real quick diagnostic thing would be to do a compression check.

It's pretty easy to do and if it's bad he will have to make a decision on whether or not to proceed to a costly repair or not....... 2-3000 hrs on a 2 stroke is getting up there in hours but he obviously got there by taking care of the engine.....

We would not be interested in working on the engine but would be more than happy to give him/you advice....

As evidenced from the previous post there are plenty of good. competent mechanics that can work on that engine.....Of course TF's recommendations are generally dependable....

Good luck and hopefully it's something that's not serious.

Doug Whalen

Whalen's Marine
Suzuki Sales & Service 24/7/365

Now servicing select Yamahas

Whalen's Marine

757-718-3539

·
Registered
407 Posts
I take my Yamaha to Newport Marine in Newport News(757-877-7466).
Scott and Bill are two good down to earth mechanics that will treat you right... :yes::thumbup:
Dale

1 - 8 of 8 Posts