Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know of a source for the correct filter wrench for 4 stroke Yamahas ?

I have 2, 50 & 80 Hp and find the smaller than auto size fiter deep in the engine is all but impossable to reach with any wrench I own.

Have resorted to one of the bicycle chain filter wrenches but even then you can't get a direct pull on the filter and it's a knuckle buster at best.

I changed the oil on the 80 last night and had forgotten how agravating it is.

Boats

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have a 115 4 stroke yamaha and I ues a oil filter wrinch/ socket that I got from NAPA. I think it was for a small import car. I just put it on my regular socket wrinch and unscrw it. Word of warning make sure you have something under the filter when you unscrew it because there is still enough oil in the filter to make a real mess inside you engine[sad]. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good tip will give Napa a try.

You are right about the mess. I save big laundry soap jugs and with a long funnel. I can drain almost all the oil without much mess. I put a rag around the lower unit to catch any overun and another inside the engine under the filter before I take it out.

My 50 is on a trailer and I change it at home but the 80 is in a dry storage and they are real upset if you drip oil on the concrete.

Thanks Boats

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I went to NAPA and found one of the wrenches. I was looking at it in the package and saw how cheaply made it was. But it looked like I could use it once or twice before it stripped out. Then the guy said it was $ 9.40 with the tax. I don't mind spending money for tools but hate to buy junk. I left without it.

But at Kmart they have a whole line of filter wrenches including one Yamaha size, Still imported but much better quality, And 3.95
They also have filters made by Friam that look like exact replacements for the expensive Yamaha filters. Will check out the Friam filters to see if they are exactly to spec

Boats

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.