Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I continue my search fo a boat, most used boats I am intersted in have Yam or J/S 4S engines. I don't know anyone with these and would like opinions on them. The J/S seems to be a little cheaper. Are they equally reliable. I would prefre Yam since you don't know what Bombardier is going to do down hte road.
I haven't seen many with Merc or DI motors.
Dave

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
1,292 Posts
Dave,

Suzuki makes the Johnson 4-stroke. You will be hard pressed to find anyone making disparaging remarks about the Suzuki/Johnson 4-strokes. I love my Johnson 115 4-stroke. Folks on hulltruth and iboats rave about them too.

If I had to choose again - I'd consider what my preferred dealer was factory trained to fix.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea I knew that Suz made 115, 140 and other 4 S for Johnson. I say did because the relationship is over except for a lower hp motors.
You're right about their reputation. Its interesting that few Merc 4S are around as are DI engines. I see Evinrude even has a info-mercial praising the E=tec engines/
Dave

·
Registered
24 Posts
Anglerdave,

FYI, the tariff's changed on imports which caused the demise of the Johnson 4S. As you are aware of, they are Suzuki motors and I have had no problem with mine. I foresee no warranty issues with the local Johnson folks, though they all say I should have gotten the E-tec. Some dealers made bulk purchases when they were made aware of the restrictions and offering them at a good price now.
If you are still considering the Maycraft, it will push just fine, 4S's are not as great as a 2S out of the hole. If I was tournament fishing or skiing that may be an issue for me.
You can go to Thehulltruth.com and see alot of posts over this very subject, I personnaly liked the 4S selling points better. For instance, one of the the Honda's (130 I believe) is the same motor that they put into the Civic. I don't buy Honda's to drive, but across the board, I think all 4S do have a place on the water. In my case the dealer offered me a Johnson 4S 140 $1500 cheaper than a Yamaha 115 4S. Decision made!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts