Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Gave it a shot last Friday afternoon in the slushy snowfall way up the Tuckahoe. Didn't expect much, didn't catch any.

Pat

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hit Severn Run (Severn River) on Tuesday afternoon from the banks. Muddy, stained water. Nothing. Prolly gonna try from my jon boat in slightly deeper water this weekend or next week.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
PhishAngler,

Welcome to Tidalfish, there are lots of great folks on these boards. I fish the Severn a lot in warm weather.

I am not asking where you are fishing, I don't care. You probably already know this, but in case you are not aware, or in case there are others reading this that don't know, please see the info below from MD DNR.

https://dnr.maryland.gov/fisheries/pages/yellow-perch/index.aspx

Reminder - Though the regulations effective in January, 2009, opened up the previously closed Magothy and Severn Rivers, there are still sections closed within each watershed. In the Magothy, from the base of Lake Waterford downstream for 3300 feet, a person cannot fish for any kind of fish in February, March and April. During February, March and April a person may not fish in the Severn or Severn Run from the Route 3 Bridge downstream for 2400 feet.

https://dnr.maryland.gov/fisheries/pages/yellow-perch/index.aspx

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thank you Steve. Likewise, I was unaware. Do we know what DNR refers to as "Route 3 Bridge"? Assuming the Rt97/Veterans (old Rt3?) overpass...

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
PhishAngler,

I am not certain and I have never walked or fished Severn Run, but yes I would assume it is the Rt 97 bridge.

The closure is to protect spawning fish. When I was young there was a vibrant fishery and healthy YP pop. Urban and suburban development, and creation of large areas of impervious surfaces, hammered the perch run (and other aquatic species). There have been restoration actions taken in recent years and there is hope to restore the local spawning population. I am a strong advocate of promoting ethical angling, fishery restoration and fish conservation. Its kinda in my blood................

Thank you for posting, this is a great example of rec fishermen sharing important info that helps all of us!

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
Lake Waterford/Magothy ends just about at Catherine Ave where the main part of the river begins.

I am pretty sure the restrictions on Severn Run are about the same, right where the “run” empties into the main river, just above Arlington Echo. Yes, the 97 bridge.

Chris

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Anyone having luck lately? Was thinking of taking a ride to marshyhope to meet ole Andy.
I haven't been fishing much. The water has been muddy. No one is fishing in the marina. I checked yesterday. water still a little too cloudy. I made a few cast and hooked a mud shad. I don't like when the mud shad are here. so i gave up. Some people are catching perch and crappie somewhere , but not me. Save your gas longtail for another time.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Fishing with you would be worth the gas. I wouldn’t care if I caught anything or not.

·
Registered
7,539 Posts
Hit Severn Run (Severn River) on Tuesday afternoon from the banks. Muddy, stained water. Nothing. Prolly gonna try from my jon boat in slightly deeper water this weekend or next week.
Just a heads up, Maryland law (COMAR 4-713) says that "During February, March and April, a person may not catch fish by any means in the waters of the Severn River or Severn Run from the dividing line between tidal and nontidal waters to a point 2400 feet downstream." I believe this is the Veterans Hwy/Rt. 97 bridge down to Pointfield. The purpose of the rule is to protect spawning yellow and white perch.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
The Severn was always closed from the Veterans Hwy Bridge (rt. 3 back then) to the river. Acid rain was blamed for a lot of the yellow perch problems. They actually put alkaline dispensers by Rutland Rd. And rt 450 for the South River to neutralize the Waters. Didn’t work.
They wound up closing all western shore streams to yellow perch fishing. It helped some. The Nanticoke and Choptank made strong comebacks and the netters wanted to fish for them. In order to allow this and not receive a raft of **** from recs they opened everything up to rec fishing even though the western shore fishery had not recovered.
Another tidbit, The Southern Md. CCA group in Hughsville stocked a Potomac River tributary, I think maybe Nanjemoy, with some Ned’s and they made a strong comeback. With protests from CCA DNR refused to allow netters in that creek. That CCA group is no longer there and is not to be confused with the current Southern Md. CCA.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Fishing with you would be worth the gas. I wouldn't care if I caught anything or not.
Always someone catching yellows this time of year. This is from the other fishing site.
They are spawing now. I fished the Choptank yesterday and they were there.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Well, they were not in the upper Tuckahoe yesterday afternoon. I checked about six places and caught nothing. It is so much fun hiking around in those woods with the hope of catching those cool little fish.

Pat

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
If you can reach it by boat, you’re pretty much below the 2400’ Severn River requirement.

Use Google Maps and measure it off.

2400’ is pretty much where it opens up into the main river, up in the cove above Indian Landing Marina.

Chris

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you can reach it by boat, you're pretty much below the 2400' Severn River requirement.

Use Google Maps and measure it off.

2400' is pretty much where it opens up into the main river, up in the cove above Indian Landing Marina.

Chris
Yes indeed. I did this and the spots I hit recently are below 2400. Not that I caught anything...LOL. Really, I'm more curious if the perch are actually making a run up the Severn and how they're doing. I didn't see any egg masses, but maybe they've started the spawn this week. If I had/have any luck, my plan is always catch/release anyway with them.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts