Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on fishing the section of the Mattaponi above Aylett and was wondering if the spawning Yellow Perch get that far up the river. Also, what else is productive in that part of the river. Thanks.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I havent fished for them that far up, but the areas near bends and straightaways down river from Aylett to Walkerton are productive.

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
I used to put in at aylett and fish bends just below it, while pulling my boat out I remember seeing a few caught at the ramp there. So, I am guessing some fish go above bridge at ayett. ( late Feb? )

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. I am planning on putting in at Zoar state park with my kayak and floating down to Aylett. Judging from the
feedback I probably have to wait a while to catch perch but will dream in the meantime. The winter is driving me crazy so I'm
getting myself ready for warmer weather.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Zoar to Aylett is a nice float. Done it a handfull of times. You can start trying for perch about a half mile above aylett towards the end of your float where the river deepens a bit on bends.

·
Registered
913 Posts
i fish from aylett to about half way to walkerton ,, usually end of jan into feb ,, water temp has alot to do with the spawning time so i would say being so cold it may be later this year for them. im with you though , i will probably still try it because im bored .

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am interested in fishing for yellow perch down the Mattaponi very near West Point. Any advice on if or when in the season I may have any luck?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts