Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me and the boys caught 50+ yellow perch at Grays Run today, but not one keeper. We need someone to teach us how to catch a keeper!!

Doug

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
went to my three hotspots today w/ my 9 y.o. son and got the skunk on the perch. ended up at unicorn lake to get rid of the bait and wound up catching a mess of really nice trout in the spillway on my perch bait. go figure! what's that old line about lemons and lemonade??? at least son came home w/ a smile on his face!:D

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good job on the trout stripestrike! Its really all about the kids. My boy had a blast today with all of the yellow perch.

I was being sarcastic about the keepers.

Doug

·
Registered
5,375 Posts
Me and the boys caught 50+ yellow perch at Grays Run today, but not one keeper. We need someone to teach us how to catch a keeper!!

Doug
Doug, it's not you. There's probably very few if any keeps yet. Did anyone else have any keepers? Any ice? I may hit there early next week in the AM.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Most of the yellows at Grays Run are usually sub-legal. Especially early. Even later, you have to wade through a lot of small ones to get a limit. But lets face it, catching anything at all right now is a plus. I would like to get out but I doubt that I will be able to for a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Doug, what were you using at grays run?? I stopped by there for about an hour and didnt see anybody pull in a darned thing....were you fishing by rt.40??

·
Registered
11,148 Posts
They should be well fed.Elwoods sold a truck load of Bull minnows yesterday.The best way to catch keepers is to lay a gill net near the mouth of the river before they get to Gray's Run and let the little ones get through.They'll be big enough to net next year and the "Sports" (Hook & liners) will have to throw them back for you next year.After all,they're only fishing for recreation.

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber
2,741 Posts
To tell you the truth, If Grays run is overfished, its the recs fault, not the netters. If you visit that area while the perch are running, the odds are that you will have to park about a half a mile away, once you get there, you will notice that there are fishermen shoulder to shoulder in that little creek, all waiting to kill the first 9" perch they get, you don,t have to be a mathematical genius to compute that there won,t be many fish over 9" to catch, and you also won,t see a single net in the area. actually, the commercial catch of perch in the last one hundred years has been stable, but in the last one hundred years the recs pressure on yellow perch has increased to an astronomical rate. thats my 3 cents worth:D
P.S. the only reason I gave you tips on catching larger fish was because I thought you really wanted to know, If I would of thought this was going to be just another anti-watermen thread, I wouldn,t had even answered to it (or maybe I would had:D )...but it is a shame the way this board has become more of a place where CCA members (and others) bash watermen, then a real fishing board where people can learn to become better fishermen

·
Registered
14,163 Posts
To tell you the truth, If Grays run is overfished, its the recs fault, not the netters. If you visit that area while the perch are running, the odds are that you will have to park about a half a mile away, once you get there, you will notice that there are fishermen shoulder to shoulder in that little creek, all waiting to kill the first 9" perch they get, you don,t have to be a mathematical genius to compute that there won,t be many fish over 9" to catch, and you also won,t see a single net in the area. actually, the commercial catch of perch in the last one hundred years has been stable, but in the last one hundred years the recs pressure on yellow perch has increased to an astronomical rate. thats my 3 cents worth:D
P.S. the only reason I gave you tips on catching larger fish was because I thought you really wanted to know, If I would of thought this was going to be just another anti-watermen thread, I wouldn,t had even answered to it (or maybe I would had:D )...but it is a shame the way this board has become more of a place where CCA members (and others) bash watermen, then a real fishing board where people can learn to become better fishermen
Oh, I dunno, you carry the MWA torch pretty well...Shame you decided to pull your, "Want bigger fish, use bigger bait," wisdom, bet nobody had ever heard that before...You should have told them to use a pound net and get them all...

·
Banned
4,553 Posts
I wish they would open the Magothy, Patapsco, Severn, South and West River for recreational Yellow Perch fishing.
Hasn't been any commercial Yellow Perch nets in those rivers for quite a few years. If nets are the real reason, there should be plenty of Yellow Perch.

·
Registered
14,163 Posts
I wish they would open the Magothy, Patapsco, Severn, South and West River for recreational Yellow Perch fishing.
Hasn't been any commercial Yellow perch nets in those rivers for quite a few years. If nets are the real reason there should be plenty of Yellow Perch
No reason to slaughter what's left, but nice try...

That's right up there with get every last oyster before they die while running a million dollar put and take sham...

I got an idea, somebody explain Lynnhaven to me, or for that matter what might happen if we actually had oysters undisturbed through the water column like they had been on beds of old before they were picked dry? Why not start a real oyster restoration program and carpet bomb the bay with the things and see if their is a tipping point? We could even use the artificial reefs that MARI is producing to start with...

Of course that would require an end to the put and take oyster welfare program that produces less at the dock than the state dumps in the water, which is to say a moratorium...

Like it, Reds?

·
Banned
4,553 Posts
Hasn't been any commercial Yellow Perch nets in those rivers for quite a few years.

Come on Chum.

Let's hear your reasoning why there are so few Yellow Perch in those rivers.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yeah Chum, answer Reds.

You won't because the reason there are no yellow perch there, is because of the recs.

Reds is right that the commercials aren't the problem, it's the rec guys who are raping the Bay. Reds is right 99.9 percent of the time

1 - 20 of 66 Posts