Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It just seems to me that if I wanted to catch some Yellow Perch, that there has to be some other places besides an hour north of Baltimore, Wayson's Corner, or Southern Maryland.
Can they be found at the head waters of just about any river? Severn, South, Magothy or Patuxent?
Allens Fresh is to far south and the Susky is too far north. I could go to either one, just not looking to make a whole day out of it.
I practically live on the Rocky Gorge Reservoir, Can I catch them from the shore at a Reservoir? or just below the dam?
Thanks for any help.
John

·
Registered
999 Posts
I've caught a couple of yellow perch in the Magothy and the Severn. I'm not sure if they are there in numbers as the other places you mentioned. Also, you are not allowed to harvest from the Magothy and Severn during certain times of year.
This is from the 2011 Maryland Fishing Guide.
http://dnr.maryland.gov/fisheries/fishing_guide/2010_MD_Fishing_Guide_Final_LowRes.pdf

Yellow Perch
1. Yellow Perch cannot be harvested from the following areas during February, March and April
a. Magothy River from the base of Lake Waterford dam downstream for 3,300 feet.
b. Severn River or Severn Run from Route 3 Bridge downstream for 2,400 feet.
2. Creel Limit - 10 in possession per person per day from the waters of the State, except 20 possession and 10 per day in
Deep Creek Lake.
3. Minimum Size: 9 inches, except no minimum size in Deep Creek Lake.
4. It is unlawful to catch or possess yellow perch eggs from State waters without prior authorization.
NOTE: There is no minimum size or creel limits for yellow perch caught in reservoirs, lakes, ponds or freshwater
impoundments.

I've never heard about yellow perch being caught in Rocky Gorge. You may want to stop by the visitors center, they have an album of fish caught in the reservoirs. I don't remember seing any yellow perch. I've only caught LM Bass from Rocky Gorge. I've never tried fishing the reservior during the winter but I know there are some Northern Pike and you may have a chance of catching them from shore. But my guess is you are looking for something for the frying pan.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
FishingRod, I have caught Yellow's in Rocky Gorge, much more by accident, during the summer with small lures. I just figured they have to be bunching up somewhere like they would elsewhere.

Paul and Bottom Knocker, thanks for the heads up on Piney Run Park.

Despite all the naysayers, there are some real good folks on this board.

John

1 - 6 of 6 Posts