Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11,150 Posts
Jerry It's been like that the last 2 months.There's a good bite like that for 1-2 weeks , then they leave? Luckily, there's enough Bass, Chain Pike & Crappie in the rivers, to keep things interesting. There's a lot of 6in. yellow perch around too.. I haven't had to use live bait yet, just lures. Good luck up there this winter Jerry.

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice fish. How deep were they?
Not deep at all. The tide was very low yesterday morning, and coming in. The perch were in no more then 2 1/2 to 3 FT. I had to set the tube bait about 18" under the bobber at times. I seen seagulls hanging around this one area, also seen a few, I call them rain drops, but it really is little fish like minnows on top of water. Sure enough, that was were the most perch were. Also caught too many little pickerel I didn't want to hook. Jerry, I bet they are hitting in the deep water on the Susquhanna River right now, and also in the marina near the B&O bridge fishing from the piers. What you think? Do they still have the bubbler system around the piers in the marina? I'm not use to catching these little fish any more, but it is all coming back to me. It is fun learning all over again with out a boat. Must be at least 30 years ago, maybe more when I keep my boat in Owen's Marina and fished the river, flats, and North East River.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I have fished Owen's three times in the past two weeks and there are very few fish in the lower river around Owens. As I said in the other YP post, I think the water is just too warm to drive them deep. Everyone I have talked to up there has the same opinion. I suspect they are out on the flats and maybe in the shallower channel approaches to the river, but there are none in the deep water of the river and very few in the shallows adjacent to the deeper waters. There are very few boats fishing the river also. If there were fish being caught there, then there would be boats fishing for them. I talked to a guy up there today who said he had been fishing the Sassafrass with very little success there also.

Thanks Capt. Nick If it doesn't improve in the river soon and stays warm, I will be down in the Gunpowder with you. It would also help if it would not rain for a solid week or so.

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK Jerry, I guess it has been too warm. I forgot I had on a ice suite and boots with a 1/2" of felt in side fishing deep water on the Susky. Wish it would stop raining so I could get some more fish for my old neighbor.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Yes Andy, that is usually the normal, or at least the most comfortable, attire when fishing the deeper waters up there. I wish it would stop raining too. It is really cutting into my fishing time too. Weather Underground shows measurable precipitation from now until Thursday, 31 Dec.

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes Andy, that is usually the normal, or at least the most comfortable, attire when fishing the deeper waters up there. I wish it would stop raining too. It is really cutting into my fishing time too. Weather Underground shows measurable precipitation from now until Thursday, 31 Dec.
Jerry, I cast one of the spinner baits you mailed me. The one with the pink head. I didn't get a chance to really fish it because of rain. I caught quite a few small pickerel with it. The large ones should show up soon, when it gets cold. Nice little spinners you make. Thanks!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts