Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how do I fish for yellow perch off the docks as far as bait,, might run down to Perryville but don't know how to fish for them , hook size bait , bobber , weight ,, don't have a qlue

·
Registered
309 Posts
Sinker, 1 oz, double rig , size 4 hook, small tube or twister work nice and I like braid line 6 lb. Jig off of docks cost 30 bucks all winter or bring boat 10 buck ramp fee. hope this helps AL

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well I am glad for the help, never thought I would have to pay to fish on the docks, that's ok , I understand,

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
Caught a lot of yellow perch there long ago. I guess the word got out. Make them pay. If I lived closer I would pay to fish there. I wonder if my friend that had the hardware store in Perryville is still alive. I know Gene Swager that ran the marina is gone. Any one fish off the docks in the town of North East anymore? Use to be very good fishing there for yellow perch and bass.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Following up on Al's post, plastics in most shapes and forms will catch fish so long as they are less than 3". Silk chartreuse, or green chartreuse are my preferred colors but other colors will work. Gulp minnows work very well. I pre-tie some rigs at home and put them in small plastic bags so I can re-rig quickly if I break off. I use eight or ten pound braid on the reel and either 10 or 12 lb. mono for the terminal rigging. I pour my jig heads on light wire hooks so much of the time I can straighten the hook and get the entire rig back. I will repost the drawing of how I make up the rig. There are a couple of changes that I now do differently from the drawing: As I said, I use 10 or 12 lb. mono instead of the 25-30 that I originally used. I use a 1/32 ounce jig head instead of a plain hook but the plain hooks work well too. I tie the droppers a little longer so the jig heads will hang down nearer the bottom. I use six turns through the knot when making the loop for the lure hanger. One more thing, when I pre-make my rigs, I do not tie the top loop for the rig to line connection. Instead, I leave five or six inches of mono above the top hook. I then tie the rig directly to the line with what Joe Yack calls an ugly knot. Basically you make a loop with the terminal rig line and the braid, then make five turns through the loop with the tag ends of both the terminal rig mono and the braid, moisten, pull the knot down tight and trim the tag ends.

Depending on depth and amount of current, I go as low as 1/2 oz. and up to 1 oz. on the sinker.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Don't even bother with the river for the next four or five days. I was there today for maybe 15 minutes. The water was very high, very swift and terribly dirty with tons of floating debris. Whatever we get tomorrow won't help matters any either.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I've never fished over there so I don't know. AndyPat might know and Joe Yack (Sweetwater Slim) or Gerald probably would also know. I don't see why there shouldn't be though. Try one of the marinas off of the canal. The local ponds and streams should have them as well. Back Creek and Scott Run look interesting. There should probably be some in Lums Pond too.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Lots of good Perch fishing in all the creeks off of the canal... in Delaware "Dragon Run" and any source of fresh water will draw them. The basin in Chesapeake city can be good, as well as the Elk. JERRY NORRIS just about said it all and is right on... One thought about the pay docks... They don't have to let us on the property at all. We had to talk them into letting us pay to fish on the docks. They had closed them to the public for the usual reasons. We agreed to not trash the place, hold them harmless in an event of an accident and pay them 30 bucks for the season. For me it's a no brainer to have access to productive fishing, close to home, anytime all winter. I am usually able to fish it 2 or 3 times a week at least for a couple hours... Cheap price spread out over the season less than a dollar a trip. I buy mine in December every year for the last 6 years. The River is a mess right now... it will be a while. The fishing was good before the rain and big melt. 16946_1202303616453_3121914_n.jpg Photo596.jpg
The fish above is 14 1/4" the perch below it is a 12" typical keeper size...look at the difference!

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Dang Joe, that is one whopping big ned. Did you get that this year?

Joe is exactly right about paying for fishing the docks. It is close, easily accessible, no hassle fishing where before, you were not allowed to fish at all. To top that off, they even have an available restroom! The cost over the season is very reasonable and I can fish there when it is too cold or windy for the boat or when the creeks have frozen over solid like they will be next Monday. It also is a short drive compared to the eastern shore.

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
You guys are lucky to have that place to fish. Yesterday morning was the first time I just couldn't take the cold and wind, mainly the wind. One crappie. Nice to have truck, heater, and radio close by. Don't know about you Jerry, but I think I will take a break this week. Hope it don't freeze up. That is two nice yellows you got there.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I fished yesterday and am itching to go again, but the cold and wind is just a little too much and it is supposed to get even colder for the weekend. By Monday, the creeks will all be frozen solid so it looks like I am out of action until sometime next week. This morning I split and hauled in about five wheel barrow loads of good dry locust so I am ready for the cold. The oak that I have on the patio is still to wet to burn very well but the locust really puts out the heat.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Following up on Al's post, plastics in most shapes and forms will catch fish so long as they are less than 3". Silk chartreuse, or green chartreuse are my preferred colors but other colors will work. Gulp minnows work very well. I pre-tie some rigs at home and put them in small plastic bags so I can re-rig quickly if I break off. I use eight or ten pound braid on the reel and either 10 or 12 lb. mono for the terminal rigging. I pour my jig heads on light wire hooks so much of the time I can straighten the hook and get the entire rig back. I will repost the drawing of how I make up the rig. There are a couple of changes that I now do differently from the drawing: As I said, I use 10 or 12 lb. mono instead of the 25-30 that I originally used. I use a 1/32 ounce jig head instead of a plain hook but the plain hooks work well too. I tie the droppers a little longer so the jig heads will hang down nearer the bottom. I use six turns through the knot when making the loop for the lure hanger. One more thing, when I pre-make my rigs, I do not tie the top loop for the rig to line connection. Instead, I leave five or six inches of mono above the top hook. I then tie the rig directly to the line with what Joe Yack calls an ugly knot. Basically you make a loop with the terminal rig line and the braid, then make five turns through the loop with the tag ends of both the terminal rig mono and the braid, moisten, pull the knot down tight and trim the tag ends.

Depending on depth and amount of current, I go as low as 1/2 oz. and up to 1 oz. on the sinker.
Jerry, Thanks for reposting your drawing. Regarding storing the pre-tied rigs. Are your storing each one separately in a bag or do you have a means of storing multiple rigs in one bag? Also, what's the advantage of the ugly knot?

Again, thanks for all your tips you have provided over the years.

Don.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Store one rig in each bag. Go to Wallyworld and get some 3"x4" craft bags from the crafts department. They are $2.00 per hundred and are zip seal. I curl the leader around my fingers and then insert the coil into the bag and seal it. Usually it does not become very tangled at all and comes out with only minor issues. The ugly knot is just simple to tie and strong. You can use other knots, but they are not as quick and easy to tie especially when your fingers are numb from the cold. The only draw back to the ugly knot is it does not go through the eyes on the rod as smoothly as some of the other knots but with the high/low rig it doesn't matter because it is so short you never need to wind it up that far.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts