Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Between getting the kids off to the school bus and having to shovel about 3 inches of snow off my boat to find it this morning (LOL) we did not arrive at the docks until around 10:40am. When we got there we saw that the ramp was completely iced over. With some sand & pine needles I found in the parking lot and a board donated by a friendly nearby sailboater (Thank you !). We finally manged to get the boat trailer back out of the water cause the truck was sliding so badly from all of the ice on the ramp. By the time we got to location it was about 11am. We pulled in and anchored. Dropped the lines with live bait and no fooling within only about 10 minutes, I had a beauty on my line already.
Now here is where it gets very interesting. As I am pulling the fish in Kevin says, did you bring the net? I paused and said . I think I forgot it.doh The fish gets to the side of the boat. I couldn't lift it up cause I only had 10lb test on the line and this fish was Very nice so I didn't want to chance it. Kevin grabs a pair of calcutta gloves and did something I could not believe..He grabbed the fish by the mouth and quickly brought him to the boat. Now when I say this, I mean he literally put his hand in the fishes mouth, secured the fish, and got him into the boat. I couldn't help but to think about "noodling" catfish, I think Kevin would be a natural at it. So we get the fish up onto the boat and it measures 26 inches!
Kevin took a few photos and I got the fish back to the side of the boat and start to resuscitate it while I decide what to do with it. At this time, the boater anchored up next to us yells over a friendly "that makes 7 species for you doesn't it?". It was Wes Blow:D. He had estimated the fish to be at least 6 lbs, which would make a decent weight citation but after careful thought I decided to release it anyway. I have to admit for the next hour and a half, it was great fishing next to him cause that man is like a machine when it comes to catching fish and just a joy to watch. We then repositioned the boat again for about 15 minutes and then we took off. Our intention was to go cast out and do some lure fishing in another area but honestly by the time we got half way there we decided it was just too cold so we headed back to the dock and the boat was back on the trailer before 1:45pm despite the icy launch.:thumbup:
P.S. Rudy if you are reading this ....this goes without saying but I'll say it anyway..... you "da bomb ". Thank you :0).

Attachments

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
15th

Congratulations to Beth Synowiec of Virginia Beach, VA on her 10th citation fish of the year. Today she had a Speckled Trout released at 26 inches! You can see just how cold it is here because when she pulled the fish out of the water there was ice on it! We love to see the lady anglers hook the big ones!

This is a copy from the Virginia Beach fishing center post on your catch. I wish my wife loved fishing half as much as you do. Congrats on a beautiful fish!!! Martin

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Capttim:)),
Thank you.:))
Martin:fishing2:,
Thank you for your note. It was insanely cold out there yesterday. That fish was not out of the water but for a few seconds when we laid it up on the deck to measure it. The deck was already so cold and covered with snow and ice. Wetness does not take too friendly to cold which goes without saying... Here is yet another example of how darn cold it was....Kevin had a bottled water in a plastic container on the boat. He shook one and we watched it spiral from clear water to cloudy ice:eek2: within seconds after he shook it...He did this again with the other water cause it was so cool to watch and then we drank Dr. Peppers instead.. (LOL)
Johnfishes:)),
Thank you for your note. It was insanely cold out there for sure. Despite the aerator on the baits we consistently had to keep breaking the ice off the tops of the 5 gallon bait buckets just to get baits. I wish I had a video camera to show some of the insane things we witnessed:yes:...
rix:rockon:,
Just a tad bit slippery out there. Glad I am in my warm house now! Thanks for your note...

By the way folks if you are reading this and you have kids in the Virginia Beach School district..school was canceled today......I just may have to take the girls ice skating :yinyang:

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Brian :0)
So are you venturing out anywhere on your ski today? Just curious... please be extra careful out there if you do decide to go ......P.S. I know you will let me know if you need a buddy boat:yes::wink44:

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Chip,
thanks.. Hey give me a holler when you get a chance I want to ask you something....you still have my number?:peace::))
Kevin,
Yes. I am hooked but I just can't help myself. There is no cure other than fishing for this disease. (LOL) Thanks Kevin for your sweet note. :fishing2:
Al B,
Thanks for your note Al. It means a lot:thumbup:
by the way.. my house currently smells like snickerdoodles:yes:.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Kevin,
Yes it is true . We are in snickerdoodle heaven here
Southpaw,
Thanks Mike. Merry Christmas to you as well.
Rudy,
Thanks Rudy. You are very kind. I completely understand about work being crazy. That is why they have to pay people to stay there (LOL)
Byron,
You say such nice things. Thank you so much from the both of us.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts