Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I broke down and bought a 75 qt Yeti cooler. On Saturday at 6am I filled the cooler completely with ice from a machine in my office in anticipation of using it Sunday when I went fishing. Sunday morning at 5am the wind in Norfolk was still crazy high so I got off the boat and drove home to Richmond. I looked in the cooler about twice a day while working around the house and was amazed at how long the ice was lasting so this morning I emptied the cooler. After 3 days of 90 degree weather and each night in the high 60's or 70's the cooler was still 1/3 filled with ice. By comparison there was an igloo cooler in the truck that had also been filled with ice on Saturday and the only thing left in it was a bit of an ice slushie.

The Yeti is a heavy sucker, even empty but it does what it says it does and ice lasts a long, long time.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
I bought one this year also. I put a bunch of drinks and beers in it Sunday before last and a 20lb bag of ice for a day of social boating. We opened and closed it many times that day. I came back to my boat on this past Friday to put some ice in yeti to get my adult beverages rechilled for the weekend. I was absolutely stunned when I opened cooler, still had a decent bit of ice left and drinks still cold from prior Sunday.

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
My son showed up @ 1mth ago with a couple friends and few cases of "drink" . they loaded a 75(90?) "timber "cooler into my boat.They spent 3 pretty hot days with me fishing and hopping onto a beach or 2.They never had to add ice!
When they left, my son told me keep the cooler, Its yours!
It was so cold that when I unloaded it to my garage fridge. My hands ached from the cold and I had to stop several times,, It has better drain systems and may be worth looking at if your considering spend that kind of money on a cooler.
My thoughts,,, They hold ice well but are pretty heavy for transport. Unless I have young backs around-- I still use my old igloo for fish.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Pre-chill the Yeti with a sacrificial 10# or 20# bag of ice a day or two before you intend to fill it and you will really be amazed at whats it's capable of. I pre-chill all my coolers, no matter the brand.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Pre-chilling makes a great difference. Take to another level by adding rock salt to the ice.

Just bought a Hopper 30. Spent Sat thru Monday going in and out it quite a bit. Still had cold beer for the ride home.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Back in the day my Dad had a green metal Coleman (about 1970) with the lid that latched, later on (10 years) I would take that cooler camping, we would fill 1/2 Gal. paper milk cartons with water then when frozen peel off the paper for a nice block of ice, that with crushed ice would last better than any other cooler at the time that I remember.

·
Registered
217 Posts
We were very surprised to receive a YETI for a wedding present from our fishing club friends.
We're adding a new twist and will have a report after a week in VA Beach starting the 19th.

We found an article with instructions to use 2: PVC pic, capped on both ends, filled with water to 88% of the cylinder then frozen. We made 8 tubes to lay in the bottom (width wise). They fit perfectly in our extra freezer. Supposed to keep things cold with no water in the bottom. Hope it works!

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I've had a Yeti for a couple of years and I am very happy. I bought it because it fit perfectly in a slot in the cuddy which allowed my cushions to fit right over the top when I slept on the boat. After using it for 2 years I am really impressed at the ability to keep things cold for a long period of time. Besides precooling the Yeti, make sure the drinks are also cold when you put them in there. You will be very happy and even more happy if you don't have to carry it. :)

Steve

1 - 8 of 8 Posts