Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I LIKE the idea of a well built, rugged, super insulated cooler. I use one most every day. BUT, I'm.also very CHEAP!

Now, if I was in the Arizona backcountry for 10 days, in mid August, I may think different.

Bottom of the line Igloo, maybe 120 qt?
Someone gave it to me when they upgraded. One hinge and one latch busted.

Plant Grass Bumper Automotive lighting Wood

Killed a deer 10 days ago, when it was 70F. Skinned and quartered it quick, hung in shade for a half hour, then layed in freezers.

Has 2 16# bags of ice in freezer, almost blocks. Busted up best I could, stuck two hind quarters in with whatever else was in front of me ( I use frozen Gatorade bottles of water in lunch box, cold water as it melts)

Stuck rest of meat in garage fridge.
Next day, Friday, got 2 more 16 # bags of ice, and stuck rest of meat in.

Cut it up Sunday evening.

Just checked cooler, 10 days later.
Cooler has been in sun from about 11 amon, every day. Hasn't been opened in a week now

Most ice still good,

Fluid Gas Plastic bottle Water Plastic

In HOT weather, long trips, I stick smaller coolers inside bigger coolers= low buck, SUPER COOLERS!!!!

Yes, I'm a poor....

· Premium Member
26,871 Posts
I have an Igloo marine 94 qt cooler. SS latches and hinges. Perfect size for summer fishing.
I like to put my ice in my deep freeze night or two before a trip. This gets it down to about 15*. Lot of store ice is just freezing - it will be melting right away.

I agree with the crazy $$$$ of the Yeti type coolers - most trips I do are 3-6 hours. I always have plenty of ice left. No need for that type cooler.

The other thing - advertised to hold ice for days but that is if cooler not opened / closed a lot.

· Registered
Skinny water fisherman.
1,388 Posts
I have an Igloo Ice Cube I bought off FB marketplace for $15 that does what I need it to do. I filled up 3 old juice bottles and they fit across the bottom completely and keep our catch cold. If I were going offshore to hunt giant tuna I would take my 160qt, but that only goes to NC to pick up 100lb of shrimp. I'm cheap too, not paying Yeti prices for a rotomolded cooler.

· Registered
2,034 Posts
I LIKE the idea of a well built, rugged, super insulated cooler. I use one most every day. BUT, I'm.also very CHEAP!

Now, if I was in the Arizona backcountry for 10 days, in mid August, I may think different.

Bottom of the line Igloo, maybe 120 qt?
Someone gave it to me when they upgraded. One hinge and one latch busted.

View attachment 283194

Killed a deer 10 days ago, when it was 70F. Skinned and quartered it quick, hung in shade for a half hour, then layed in freezers.

Has 2 16# bags of ice in freezer, almost blocks. Busted up best I could, stuck two hind quarters in with whatever else was in front of me ( I use frozen Gatorade bottles of water in lunch box, cold water as it melts)

Stuck rest of meat in garage fridge.
Next day, Friday, got 2 more 16 # bags of ice, and stuck rest of meat in.

Cut it up Sunday evening.

Just checked cooler, 10 days later.
Cooler has been in sun from about 11 amon, every day. Hasn't been opened in a week now

Most ice still good,

View attachment 283195

In HOT weather, long trips, I stick smaller coolers inside bigger coolers= low buck, SUPER COOLERS!!!!

Yes, I'm a poor....
It’s opening and closing that melts ice doesn’t matter what cooler you have.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts