Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made the two hour drive from Charlottesville to Yorktown to fish the outgoing tide around the lights from the kayak. I caught 27 baby stripers up to 17". I also caught 16 bluefish and 5 hickory shad. Everything was caught on 1/16 oz jigs and 3 inch pearl or clear flukes drifted with the current near the surface. The fish were busting up the glass minnows! I also threw larger jigs/paddle tail grubs, did some bottom bouncing, left one swimming in the current and threw some zara spooks and chuggers. No love from bigger fish. The small ones I caught were a lot of fun on the ultra light w/3# test braid. The shad are always fun since they jump like Tarpon! I got off the water just as the storm hit and soaked everything. The only thing that would have made the night better would have been a few keepers!

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
Sounds like a lot of fun in a Kayak. Some times if you can get the bait lower in the column the larger fish may be under the small ones.

Kevin
Weekend Mistress

·
Registered
374 Posts
I fished the same time down river at the refinery pier with about the same results. I lost my only keeper, probably 22", at the kayak when he threw the hook. That one I hooked like Kevin said, down lower, jigging a 6" gulp off the bottom

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
I ran over and checked out refinery pier the other day. mid-day. no hits but talked to a couple guys working there. They said when lights are on the water boils!
Did pick up keeper casting nearby structure. Leaving dock @ 8 this morning hoping cooler temps has brought some down the river.

·
Registered
788 Posts
The water doesnt boil at the refinery unless its baby blues mostly. I fish the york alot for striper and those guys are b.s. kings. There are alot better places to fish than there but in my skiff i am very limited, so i stay close to home. If i was in my big boat i wouldnt stop there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts