Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As Burt Reynolds said to his three buddies as they paddled down the Cahulawassee, "You don't beat this river." Well, that's pretty much how Alex, Randy and I felt out on the water this morning. The water has since gotten cloudy, cluttered and cold (59 degrees), and the bite is slower than a banjo-playing kid in the hills of Georgia. By 11 p.m. we managed 5 fish, the biggest of which Alex caught. It measured 17 inches to the fork, and brings his 3-fish total to 57-1/2 inches.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
C'mon Alex smile. It still beats working. :yes:

If your darn buddy wouldn't have caught those big fish so dang early, this would still be exciting.

I believe Clancy told me that it happenned for him the same way last year. Two big fish in about a ten minute span. He was at the right place at the right time, just like you this year Chris. Those fish are gonna be tough to beat.

Haven't given up hope yet though.

Fishing has been real slow for me also, with fish in the same class as Alex's. I've hit my spots, and yours, at different tide cycles, morning and evening, new spots where others have told me they've caught keeper fish, and thrown to many new piers and structure with only limited success.

I sure as hell haven't figured them out.

·
Premium Member
26,229 Posts
This here river don't flow to no Cantree :D:D.

Been a tough bite the last few days :confused::confused: - perhaps the higher tides have messed it up.

Still alot of time left - this thing can be won with just one cast :yes:.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Man 17.5 huh? You best start learning how to read one of them new fandangled measuring devices!!! I thought fer sher today would produce a winning fish. Maybe tommorrow.....

-E

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
[
I thought fer sher today would produce a winning fish. Maybe tommorrow.....
No, not today either. F'in wind was howling.

·
Registered
7,563 Posts
I believe Clancy told me that it happenned for him the same way last year. Two big fish in about a ten minute span. He was at the right place at the right time, just like you this year Chris. Those fish are gonna be tough to beat.
Gotta agree with ya. I try my "honey hole" about a half-dozen times each fall. Maybe only twice each year, if I'm lucky, does it produce decent-sized Rock. Maybe every third year it produces some real nice fish for me. Of course, some real nice fish are probably there, at times, every year, but until I get a job and a family that allows me to do nothing but sit on the dock and wait for their arrival, I have to settle for being there at exactly the right time, because these shallow Severn fish move a lot.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Pick your heads up fellas, its just time to start looking deeper......they are still around, someone just need to find 'em....

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
sit on the dock
I wonder where that could be? :rolleyes:

Clancy. I believe they're still around also, and I did mark fish in deeper water today. I have been jigging around some past producing drop-offs but, like the shallows, no takers.

I still have yet to see breaking fish with any kind of staying power also, and it's all been in small pockets. I still think the water needs to get colder. There is plenty of bait still in the river.

It all will probably turn on November 1.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I hear ya, Chris - tried the river Sunday also with nothing to show for it. Places that had held fish the past 2 weeks were empty. Chalked it up to the storm, funky tides, and too much boat traffic. Wind is supposed to blow big time next couple of days - hoping Thurs or Friday will be a different story.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I am convinced they are still around. the weather has just been uncooperative. I've cought a bunch, including three fish over 21 in three brief kayak outings in the past week on very small gear. I am not in the tournament, but I have a suspicion it can be won on friday evening. Moderating winds coming to a light southwest that day .... mmmmm

You might have to dress in costume to be really effective!
I will try to get out if I can shake free of work and be home by 5pm.
I'll look for you out there. Jackolantern for running lights anyone?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts