Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,104 Posts
I vote photo shopped. Whites prefer colder waters - luckily :eek2:.

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
I vote photo shopped. Whites prefer colder waters - luckily :eek2:.
Commentary:
This amazing photograph shows a great white shark trailing a man in a sea kayak. The photograph's caption explains:

Sitting in a 3.8 meter sea kayak and watching a four meter great white approach you is a fairly tense experience.

Although some have doubted its authenticity, the photograph is genuine. It was taken from the September 2005 issue of Africa Geographic. The article details a study of Great White Sharks in South Africa by biologists Michael C. Scholl and Thomas P. Peschak. Kayaks were used to study the sharks because, unlike the motorized research vessel, they could manoeuvre more easily in shallow or treacherous water and had no engine noise to disturb the sharks' natural behaviours. The authors explain more about the incident shown in the photograph:

Although we had extensively tested the sharks' reactions to an empty kayak and had observed no signs of aggression, this gave us little comfort as we eyed a great white heading straight for us, albeit slowly. Just a metre or so from the craft it veered off, circled and slowly approached from behind. It did this several times, occasionally lifting its head out of the water to get a better look. Then it lost interest, and as it continued on its way we were able to follow a short distance behind. Once we'd come to terms with having nothing between ourselves and a four-metre shark except a thin layer of plastic, our kayak made an ideal research platform for observing great white behaviour in shallow water.
The article provides a very interesting insight into Great White Sharks and includes a number of other excellent photographs.

References:
Shark detectives
Africa Geographic Magazine

Last updated: 18th January 2007
First published: 18th January 2007

Write-up by Brett M.Christensen

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I dont know which is more amazing. The picture or that Seahunter had the commentary ready to go upon Skip's comment.

Jim

·
Premium Member
26,104 Posts
I saw the photo once/twice before - always thought it was a fake.Figured some computer wizard did some photo shopping magic.

Now to find that place and take a 130lb outfit :D .

Note: Yes I know catching Whites is illegal :pp.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Mother-in-law shark

Related to nurse sharks, these sharks are highly aggresive and grow to enormous size. Although the mouth and jaws are formidable, most injuries occur from contact with the large orthopedic shoes indigenous to the species.

Attachments

·
Registered
332 Posts
I don't know Skip...we had a ten foot hammerhead spool a 130 that was rigged for giant bluefin...made the reel look quite insignifcant. Back in the seventies I was in Hawaii and a big white ( I think it was white) had scared the folks in their dingies rowing to their sailboats in the harbor in Lahaina. The local boys caught him one night...they used chain for the running line and goat for bait! The hook was the size of the head of my flying gaff. I am not s**ting you.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I don't know Skip...we had a ten foot hammerhead spool a 130 that was rigged for giant bluefin...made the reel look quite insignifcant. Back in the seventies I was in Hawaii and a big white ( I think it was white) had scared the folks in their dingies rowing to their sailboats in the harbor in Lahaina. The local boys caught him one night...they used chain for the running line and goat for bait! The hook was the size of the head of my flying gaff. I am not s**ting you.
In the 80's, I used to fly a guy and his wife out to the Bahamas to go fishing on the weekends on Green Turtle Cay. (He didn't want to learn to fly his plane...said it cut into his consumption of Johnny Walker Red)

There was a retired constable on the island named Bert, who owned a bar of the same name. On the wall was a picture of him standing in the jaws (removed of course) of a
GW that they had caught in the harbor 40-50 years back the same way...chain and a goat, tied to a piling in the harbor. He said it had come into the harbor and killed a young girl who was swimming there.

He was about 6' tall as I recall...would have hated to see the shark.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Man that is scary....Glad others do the research...I had a 10 foot hammerhead hooked for about 15 seconds a few years back off Stock Island...It ate the 4 foot 'cuda I was reeling in.. And the 15 seconds was all it took to spool the 6/0 penn I had...cujo

·
Registered
654 Posts
Man that is scary....Glad others do the research...I had a 10 foot hammerhead hooked for about 15 seconds a few years back off Stock Island...It ate the 4 foot 'cuda I was reeling in.. And the 15 seconds was all it took to spool the 6/0 penn I had...cujo
We had a huge one on off Cudjoe a couple of years ago, it was nearly as long as the 15 Whaler we were in. Our "plan" was if it started attacking the boat was to drive up on a nearby flat :eek: Turned out he snapped the line quickly and left quietly.

AIK68J- that was funny :thumbup:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts