Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Results of the YOY were released today. Third straight year of poor recruitment. It is better then last year but still way below what we need. Don’t shoot the messenger. I’m sure the spawn was fine but for sone unknown reason the fry are not surviving. Short of another moratorium I don’t know what Maryland can do to get us back on track. By delaying the trophy season I would have thought it would have helped a lot. Who knows?

·
Registered
14,402 Posts
Results of the YOY were released today. Third straight year of poor recruitment. It is better then last year but still way below what we need. Don’t shoot the messenger. I’m sure the spawn was fine but for sone unknown reason the fry are not surviving. Short of another moratorium I don’t know what Maryland can do to get us back on track. By delaying the trophy season I would have thought it would have helped a lot. Who knows?
WATER QUALITY.........Gary

·
Premium Member
28 Posts

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I think it’s more of a oxygen issue, that may be because of water quality. I don’t know. When you set a fleet over top a school of fish all summer long, that’s not gonna end well. While I think the dam can bring nastys down, it also brings oxygenated water. Why the fish historically are always there every summer. You have to give them sanctuary. Also, charters have should have to adhere to straight limits across the board. One fish a day, for all. One trip a day. Can’t make, I’m sorry. Atlantic Flyway Canada geese are one a day. Those commercial guides don’t get a pass and allowed 2. They’ve managed to stay afloat. Personally, the last closure the fishery beyond striped bass was incredible. I’m all about 15 pound blues and 20 inch croaker. I certainly don’t want dirty septic snakeheads, but with decline of rock, seems other fish are charging forward.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I am not against the commercial catch of rockfish, but let's save the eggs, we do that for crabs.

Look at the peak commercial (breeder) catch data for January and February 2021 - over 400,000 lbs of mainly breeders. How many billions of eggs are lost?

Maryland extended the commercial striped bass fishery last year to catch more breeders: Public Notice: Commercial Striped Bass Chesapeake Bay Individual Transferrable Quota Season Modification
As for crabs. It only effect the recs. Commercial have been able to keep females for a while now. Some times, later in the year they keep bushels of them, while recs are tossing back some. Maryland is the land of lopsided regulations.

·
Registered
14,402 Posts
As for crabs. It only effect the recs. Commercial have been able to keep females for a while now. Some times, later in the year they keep bushels of them, while recs are tossing back some. Maryland is the land of lopsided regulations.
MD manages all species for the benefit of commercial fishermen, not the species. Commercial fishermen don't care about the future of the species, just what I can take right now............ Gary

·
Registered
336 Posts
MD manages all species for the benefit of commercial fishermen, not the species. Commercial fishermen don't care about the future of the species, just what I can take right now............ Gary
You are correct on both. Commercial fisherman are the enemy of all, rec and future commercial fisherman. But that's not just a Maryland thing. It's world wide. I've tried to wrap my head around Maryland regulation for so long I'm dizzy. Point one is striped bass creel limit. Recs 1 fish, charter 2 fish. Thats 100 percent increase for one over the other. Nonresident crab license is same price for MD resident as nonresident. Same creel limit. This one could use plenty of work, and could payoff big. Effort putting into invasive species is always behind the curve. When snakeheads where first made aware of I caught what I thought was a juvenile, save the fished called DNR to observe. No interest at all. Now look where we are. Not saying we could have stopped them, but when effort is only exerted when crisis is here. You are already loosing the battle. Enforcement of all laws is a joke. I fish, hunt and crab. Very seldom come in contact with officers.

·
Registered
11,287 Posts
I caught 2 keeper rock fish all year and I fish once a week. All I've been catching is catfish.
Get used to it. That's all there will be to catch until they kill all of those too. We've got a chance at 2 fish. Catfish & Snakeheads . They are about all that can thrive and survive long term in the upper bay and it's tidal rivers. Kill all of them and there will be nothing as far as gamefish in the upper bay. The chances of things getting better are slim to none . More people , more pollution . More pollution , less species of fish that can thrive. That simple. We're lucky we still have the most abundant big crabs in the bay . That saves many fruitless days of fishing up here in the bay during summer . I caught a few 20-22 in. Stripers in shallow water while fishing for snakeheads and bass in early June before the water got to warm and they moved out. I didn't have the heart to keep them . I don't keep the snakeheads or bass either. I keep a few yellow perch or walleyes from time to time.

·
Registered
11,287 Posts
It's not about knowing how to fish for them. A chimpanzee can catch a striped bass. It's about killing a bunch of undersized fish before you catch a keeper most of the time. If you're happy waiting until August like you said in a post like "Who said there's no fish ?" for mackerel or bluefish then that's up to you. I and many others don't consider that starting to catch more than striped bass fish in August is much of a fishing season in the upper bay. That's why I don't waste my time fishing for stripers in the upper bay until fall . Even in good shoal areas of the upper bay where eelers do well with keeper sized striped bass they are catching more catfish with them. There are so few big striped bass around anymore , I feel guilty about keeping any .

·
Registered
11,287 Posts
Capt.Nick, do you think all the pan fish will be wiped out also? Series question, just want to know your thoughts on this.
No. I think thing there may be less of them because of snakeheads and catfish but there will be more and bigger keeper sized fish. The yellow perch took a beating in the Susquehanna for 2 reasons . Lots of hoop nets in the lower river during spawning season Jan 1. -March 1. plus legal size for coms. 8in. and now 8.5 in. Recs didn't help matters much either catching and releasing 50-100 fish a day in deep water 40-60 ft. In Pa. they tell their fishermen to stop fishing in deep water if they have their limit or are catching small fish because they die after being released from deep waters. The good yellow perch fishing lasted off Owens about 3 years for jumbo yellow perch after they reopened it.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts