Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was wondering what you guys use for a backup bait for those big cats when there is no fresh gizzard shad.....i have a 6ft cast net and can throw it but i dont want to count on that when i'll be driving a hour and half to deep bottom...so i'd like to stock up on something beforehand...

what do ya'll use for your rigs mostly... fish finder rig or a 3way swivel with weight on one and hook on other? size wieghts? and leader? any help or info appreciated:)

·
Registered
628 Posts
Fresh shad and for back up bait - fresh shad!!!

Get a bigger cast net. Greentop has an 8ft 1 inch nesh net for 50 bucks. You can't beat that net.

Another good thing to do is get phone numbers of people who live closer who may be out there and can help you with bait if you need it.

Also don't limit yourself to deep bottom for bait there are other good places.

Most people use a fish finder rig with 8/0 Gamakatsu hooks and 3 - 10oz/ sinkers

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
but what about frozen bunker,or other frozen bait fish, livers...or nightcrawlers for some small cats?has anyone caught decent size cats on anything else besides fresh shad? i would hate driving out there and be stuck without any bait lol,i think i still have striperjoe's business card from that time i went fishing with ya'll maybe he can put me on a bait spot if i cant find any :)...i'll be getting a 7 or 8ft cast net soon. bass pro shop put a hurtin on me today.

ok i got some 10oz weights and #8 circle gam hooks ......what about leader ? i got a roll of #60 lb test for leader,and i have 30lb on my reels.

also is the hopewell ramp back in service? and is it steep? kinda worried about the deep bottom ramp when its iced over since i dont have 4 wheel drive lol

i'm gonna try to catch me some cats this year...last year i wasnt prepared..this year i think i am... i got to beat my 28lb record! lol [grin]

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
that striperjoe fella seems awfull nice dont he, i am going to take him up on his offer to fish on the brand new boat come january,i have 3 other phone numbers saved away in my b-mail for when striper season ends. good point about the deep bottom ramp (never thought of that) old boat weighed 1800, my boat now is 24ft and 4500 pounds.........since i am a rookie in those waters i cant say but in another thread it said menhaden work ok too. i got 2 buckets frozen right now kajun. dont forget i will follow you up sometime !!

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
1,292 Posts
kajun,

you could try obtaining a few eels as backup although most on this board probably don't worry about a backup bait. This is because nothing works like shad. Frozen shad seems like a different bait and is worthless. Unfortunately you have to keep throwing that net until you get enough to fish even if it takes more time than you want. Sometimes you have try different bait spots...it can take 5 minutes on those magical lucky days or it can take a couple hours. It sucks but is "the way it is done." Or you luck out and someone shares some extra with you. Just don't be a parasite like some folks who don't put forth the effort to throw their own net, then beg off shad from those who do. You can see the look in their eye from far away. I share shad with others who I see throwing a net or others who have shared in the past. Get a bigger net and practice or be happy with smaller cats. Throwing a bigger cat net is not any harder than throwing a smaller one once you get the nack of it. You will always eventually catch a few shad and you can just use them more sparingly or slice them creatively to get more chunks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The Hopewell ramp is open. $3 bucks in the honor box. a slight slope and the marina is a great location for your cast net. I had good luck with cut eels from Castaway bait shop. I will be there Sunday a.m. Tim

·
Registered
7 Posts
The Hopewell ramp is open. $3 bucks in the honor box. a slight slope and the marina is a great location for your cast net. I had good luck with cut eels from Castaway bait shop. I will be there Sunday a.m. Tim

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Hopewell ramp $3 for Hopewell residence and $5 for non Hopewell residence right?
Where is Castaway's? Think i asked befor but can't remember.Senior moments.[grin]

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Castaways is in Chester. Very near Dutch Gap ramp. They are on US Rt. 1 just south of Rt. 288.

Castaways Sporting Goods 804-706-9100

http://maps.google.com/maps?li=bwp&q=11600+JEFFERSON+DAVIS+HWY,+CHESTER,+VA+23831

Dayton

·
Registered
798 Posts
I know it may seem dumb to many on this board-but if you are really worried about missing out on the live shad after a long road trip- you can always find a small pond that is loaded with little bluegill or pumkinseed brim, before you leave (will need an aireator).

I was told by someone that this is illegal-somehow taking fish from one body of water to another-but I have never found any rules against it in the reg. book.

I have done well by using them. I just fish for them with a tiny #16 hook with cheese or a piece of plastic. I can get 25 of them it about 10 minutes. This helps me because I fish the James above Richmond where there are few shad. I have done well with them with big blues below the city. Once I had one grab it as soon as it hit bottom.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Large eels(at least the diameter of a quarter), especially the head end(about 5 inches worth)will ketch fish. I also drop a small hook rig to the bottom with small peices of nightcrawler for a white perch, awesome bait.

I hear they like to eat Bass also but can't prove it.

DEAN

1 - 15 of 15 Posts