Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
read this on a trad. bow forum i participate in. what do you guys think about this. they have a pretty good discussion going.

Interesting article in the latest Field & Stream called Glory Days by Gerald Almy

"Call in sick. Vote late. Get engaged next spring. Just make sure you are in the deer woods on these seven dates, because there won't be a better time to bag a buck all year" G.A.

Thurs Oct 27... early pre-rut, scrape checking phase... Bucks start traveling more in the AM (Mark Normand coming north to hunt this week)

Wed Nov 2... ...New moon, black as the ace of spades at night ...deer should be on the move

Tues Nov 8 ...first quarter moon..Seek & Chase phase ...

Nov 16..Mating...Full Moon..heavy mid day movement (4Nolz and Penny are coming north to hunt this week)

Nov 19

Nov 25...Post Rut..waning moon phase..deer activity will pick up again with bucks hunting for unbred does

Dec 1

Keep this thread in mind and we'll see how this compares to personal experience

mike

·
Registered
99 Posts
Sounds like a plan, the moon has a very powerful connection to deer and fish. The two things I like to do the most is hunt and fish. Thanks for the info. Bill

·
Registered
490 Posts
Interesting...

Last night I saw the first decent buck I've seen from a stand all year...it was an hour before sun down and he was running with two other deer. Not sure if he was starting to chase does early for practice or if the front deer were smaller bucks...who knows.

And I heard there was a small buck following a doe around the other morning in the same hunting spot.

Will post what I see.

and try to hunt these dates to make it accurate.

-Dave

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
dave-

i really think you should just take off and hunt those days and all the ones between so we can tweak those dates! [excited]

mike

·
Registered
490 Posts
I'll do what I can.....strictly for the name of science though!

I'll be out with the bow a good bit from next monday till when ducks come back in.

Gotta sneak in a few morning hunts.

-Dave

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Saw some very similar time frames in an edition of Deer and Deer Hunting from a month or two ago. One of the editors and some counterparts are 11 years into a 15 year study showing that the rut has more to do with the timing of the full moon more than it does the amount of daylight. Basically they say the rut is controlled by the timing of the second full moon after the Autumnal Equinox although the amount of daylight does still serve as a catalyst. For those of you who keep journal or can check, they are saying that this year's rut timing should be comparable to that from 1997 and 2002.

Bottom line, the dates above, from what I remember from the article, are very close to what is above.

We'll see.

·
Registered
84 Posts
If it were simply moon phase then Deer from Canada to Mexico would rut simultaneously. But they dont,far from it. But the photoperiod changes first in the extreme northern portion of the hemisphere and gradually moves southward. Generally speaking so does the Whitetail rut. I believe some Mexican deer rut late december to early Janurary. I will agree the moon phase makes a huge impact on the levels of daytime activity, but so do major weather events.

·
Registered
14 Posts
[Q]Dave Sikorski originally wrote:
I'll do what I can.....strictly for the name of science though!

I'll be out with the bow a good bit from next monday till when ducks come back in.

Gotta sneak in a few morning hunts.

-Dave
[/Q]Can't bowhunt Monday....its closed for muzzleloader until the 29th.Check the regs.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Actually I can bow hunt during the muzzleloader season as long as I wear blaze orange. Now's when the bucks start showing up so there's no point in carrying around smoke stick for does.

-D

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
riggodrill44 -

i beleive the regulations state you can hunt with any lesser weapon of the particular dear season (crossbows excluded). bow season - only bow. muzzleloader season - bow or muzzleloader. shotgun season - bow, muzzleloader, shotgun. you must wear orange during all seasons excpet bow even if you only hunt with a bow.

mike

·
Registered
84 Posts
Big Cat

Full moon with clear skys make the morning and evenings a little lean for me. But the mid day feed is usually real active. If the overnight weather is poor, high winds, heavy rain then the first light action is generally hot as long as the weather isnt still AFU.

But like anything else.....there's always an exception to the rule, and when you least expect it....there he is!

·
Registered
490 Posts
That's correct Mike!!

Chris shot a 5 pt. last night in the bean fields....he said there's a pie-ball there too a little one.

He said another buck was there that was bigger but wouldn't get close enough. When he shot the 5 the deer dropped in 30 yds and the bigger 8 went nuts and started running around and would stab the fallen deer...then get up and go nuts before finally heading outta dodge.

-D

·
Registered
490 Posts
Saw little bucks trying their hand at chasing does this weekend. Also saw bigger bucks chasing those little fellas. Nothing too aggressive but enough to say...I'm the boss. Also saw a little fork horn who lost an antler....looked fresh so I imagine he might have been sparring with someone.

Heard a spike was grunting like crazy chasing a tiny doe before a guy shot him.

-Dave

·
Registered
838 Posts
Chesapeakblend, you are not required to wear blaze orange during the muzzleloader season. Here's the regulation.

Blaze Orange Requirements
When hunting any game species during the firearms deer season, every hunter or person accompanying a hunter shall wear a blaze orange hat or blaze orange upper body clothing that is visible from 360 degrees or display at least 100 square inches of solid blaze orange material at shoulder level within body reach and visible from 360 degrees. Hats may have a bill or brim color or design other than solid blaze orange. Hats shall not be in "camo" style, since the latter is designated to prevent visibility. A logo, which does not detract from visibility, may be worn on a blaze orange hat.
Blaze orange is not required during the muzzleloading deer season(s) or by waterfowl hunters, individuals participating in hunting dog field trials and fox hunters on horseback without firearms.
Hunters hunting with a bow and arrow during an open firearms deer season, in areas where the discharge of firearms is prohibited, are exempt from the blaze orange requirement.

·
Registered
490 Posts
That's not true....hunter orange is required for all hunters during ML and firearm season. Duck hunters are never required to wear orange and the seasons are generally not in during the ML or firearm seasons....except for the late seasons.

Did see three bucks hanging around together yesterday...two smaller guys and a nice shooter 7 pt. They left and came back an hour later chasing a big ole doe, big guy in the back grunting. she stopped at 10 yds and I missed[sad]...went over her back.

Shot at another doe as it got dark and missed that too...I have some issues I need to fix...can't hit two deer at 10 yds.

-Dave

1 - 20 of 24 Posts